Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if im slowing down to a stop sign or traffic light while in 2nd i hear something that seems like a rattling sound when the RPM's go below 2000. if i tap the gas a bit it goes away till i release the throttle. is this a normal sound or is there something wrong with my car?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You probably got this after replacing your exhaust right?

If so definatley check those heat shields and Replace the exhaust mounts if you haven't already. I like the kartboys.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the car is all stock. it sounds like its coming from the exhaust, so im thinking it could be a loose heat shield. im bringing the car into the dealer for an oil change next weekend so ill have them check this out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ice- do me a favor- next time when you hear the rattle, press in your clutch. I have the same thing but my rattle goes away when the clutch is down- so I'm thinking its in the drivetrain somewhere.
I replaced my exhaust with turboXS, used Kartboy hangers and left off my heatshields so I know its not them.

let me know

Rick

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2003Platinum said:
ice- do me a favor- next time when you hear the rattle, press in your clutch. I have the same thing but my rattle goes away when the clutch is down- so I'm thinking its in the drivetrain somewhere.
I replaced my exhaust with turboXS, used Kartboy hangers and left off my heatshields so I know its not them.

let me know

Rick
yes the sound goes away after pushing the clutch in

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is pushed in it's most like the "clutch decel noise" that people have been complaining about since the WRX came out.

You might want to mention it to the dealer when you bring the car in for service. I'm not sure if anybody has actually had the noise completely/permanently eliminated though.

Anyone?

·
: : J-Lovin Moderator: :
556 Posts
I actually have the same sound BUT its coming from the left side of my engine. Same symtoms and everything. But it started happening after I installed a intake. It also happened when I did the silencer hack way before I got the intake. Its really weird. Is it the same sound I'm thinking?

Jason

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is2scooby said:
If the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is pushed in it's most like the "clutch decel noise" that people have been complaining about since the WRX came out.
this is what i thought it was till a week ago when i took my brother for a ride in my car and he mentioned that it didn't sound right. after this my mind thought it could be something else. hopefully its nothing major, but i will mention it when i go to the dealer and see what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Richard hit it on the head..
But why do we notice it after intake resonator removals and catless uppipes?

I dont know why clutch noise would be amplified with those mods. Although it does kinda make sense seeing all engine noise increases dramatically when those mods done.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i asked the dealer this weekend about the noise, and he said it was normal on the WRXs. like you guys said, he said it was the clutch noise while decelerating

1 - 11 of 11 Posts