Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2012 wrx 71xxx. Bought used at 68,500
I was driving home from duty, slowed down to make a right turn and noticed a rough idle, kept driving didn't notice anything till I came to a stop and the car died. Started it up and it was a hard start, accelerated and heard a rattling noise. Once I got into the neighborhood the rattling was very prominent and the engine kept dying multiple times. I eventually made it into rh3 garage, didn't notice anything leaking.
Current mods on the car is a invidia q 300 cat back.
I've been reading and watching videos..hoping it's not the rod bearing issue

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
I hate to say it but that sounds bad - get a new motor bad potentially. Year/miles?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just started the engine and let it idle. Doesn't sound anything like that. Sounds healthy. On start up it did have the rattle noise

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
Without hearing it it's hard to say the symptoms you describe are of a spun bearing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got stationed here and finally got myself a jack...got underneath and found out it was the heatshield on the Down pipe. Missing a bolt on the up like bracket and another on the far side of the Down pipe

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
Well that is certainly a relief but it still shouldn't be dying out on you and idling off. Cleaning the MAF usually sorts it out but if you haven't got any records the plugs etc. might be suspect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the maf and o2 sensors, they're good to go...i found a separate thread about the car reading false knocks and shutting off? I feel that might be the culprit.
Now I need to find the bolt and thread size

1 - 8 of 8 Posts