ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was passing through Great Falls I saw a car that said "Shelby" on it and it had a Shelby badge in the back. Looked like it might have been something from back in the 80's. So, I looked it up on the web, and since it was a red one it has to be an '89 which makes it 1 out of only 500 made! Pretty rare, check it out: http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/shelby/sheldod9.htm

The familiar intercooler was in place and connected to the one-piece tuned intake manifold used in the 88 CSX-T, but it was attached to a brand new turbo (seen below). This Garrett unit featured variable nozzles - small blades surounding the exhaust turbine. Their purpose was to reduce turbo lag, and they functioned like this: at low turbo speeds, the blades would close. This decreases the volume of the turbine housing, causing more rapid acceleration of the compressor and thus faster spool-up. Once up to speed the blades would open and increase the airflow, allowing for control of the boost level. Besides reducing turbo lag, these nozzles allowed for the removal of the wastegate; the nozzles now provided this function. The whole operation was controlled by the car's computer based on data received from throttle position, manifold pressure, and so on.
Think the WRX could benefit from that type of turbo? :wiggle:

VERY unique - another first for production cars worldwide - was the use of gold 5-spoke Fiberide composite wheels. These were constructed of a fiberglass-reinforced plastic which is stronger than aluminum and also lighter. Shelby's wheel plant made these wheels; embossed into one spoke is the word SHELBY
Found pics of an '87 on Ebay - $3500 bid so far on a 17 year-old car ain't bad, and the '89 would be worth much more:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485097356&category=6205&sspagename=WDVW

-snowcat

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Those little cars are badass (and quick too)! A friend of mine in Columbia, SC bought one a couple of years ago. I think he gave Matt (aka: scoobie1) a ride in it too...

I think there was something wrong with it though. Every time he'd get into boost, it would shoot the oil dip stick out of it's hole. :confused:

·
1,816 Posts
There were lots of cool turbo cars from the 1980-90s that can be made into quick little competitive cars.

Omni GLH
Daytona Turbos (i think)
Dodge Conquest Tsi / Mitusbishi Starion
Buick Regal T type, GN
Merkur XRT4i
Mazda 323 GTX
Galant VR4s
Celica all trac turbos (and you thought that celica hood scoop was rice :D)

etc...

all these cars can be worked over and most have > 2.0L and RWD
just a FYI.

chris

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a Merkur like that around here as well, was selling for fairly cheap... I've also seen something like a Plymouth Laser turbo iirc...

-snowcat

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, there is a sweet little car around here that resembles a Mk I MR2, I think it's a Pontiac Fiero Formula. Looks like it weighs about 5 pounds, and it has the most awesome exhuast sound I've heard on a car:

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Fixxxer said:
Fieros were pretty cool little cars. I'm suprised that Pontiac quit making them.
They didn't sell well, from the outset. The Fiero was a "parts-drawer special", with parts from GM's X-cars of the early '80's (Chevy Citation and the like). It had a Chevy Chevette's front suspension.

They finally offered a decent version of the car, the Fiero GT (pictured below), but the damage was done. They were only produced from '84 to '88.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've got two friends with Fieros. One has a four cylinder and is talking about swapping a Chevy 350 into it, the other has a V6 and I dont think he is planning much with it. They're really neat little cars.

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
that's awesome (the CSX, that is)
seeing the interior made me have a flashback on how bad the interiors were of domestics in the 80's.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wrxlude said:
that's awesome (the CSX, that is)
seeing the interior made me have a flashback on how bad the interiors were of domestics in the 80's.
I hear ya; seems like those interiors should be from the 70's not the 80's. :eek:

-snowcat

·
Registered
631 Posts
Fixxxer said:
Those little cars are badass (and quick too)! A friend of mine in Columbia, SC bought one a couple of years ago. I think he gave Matt (aka: scoobie1) a ride in it too...

I think there was something wrong with it though. Every time he'd get into boost, it would shoot the oil dip stick out of it's hole. :confused:
Yeah, I rode in it...quick little car. If I remember correctly, it had a square type boost gauge built into the dash, looked funky, and it spiked pretty good when he hit the gas. I think the dipstick might have been from piston blow-by. Not sure on that one though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts