ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was doing the install for my 6 speed, everything was going amazingly smoothly (2 hours to remove the entire drivetrain except for the tranny, including the full exhaust, all the heat shields, driveline, etc.) until we hit the point where it took 45 minutes each. Got the tranny out got the clutch/clutch cover off and to my dismay realized that ramirez (or whoever had installed the clutchmasters) had neglected to put the clutch cover back on and most of the flywheel bolts were completely frozen into place. After much swearing and abusing of an air ratchet later we got all the flywheel bolts out but one.... which got completely rounded off.... that's when I decided to give up for the night.

Oh yeah... I'm also incredibly pissed off at rallispec and ready to file an official complaint through the NJ branch of the BBB. It took them almost 3x the time promised to deliver my hardware (after clearning my check and not answering any of my e-mails for 2 weeks). 50% of my e-mails went un-answered after they finally replied. I was lead to believe that the DCCD brain would allow me the full DCCD functionality of the STi (automatic mode, auto. diff. unlock if the e-brake is applied, and all the other cool stuff the DCCD can do with the exception of manual torque biasing) unfortunately I didn't find out this wasn't the case until I started un-packing things, noticed a bunch of hardware was missing... sent an e-mail off that took 3 days to get an answer on to the effect of "well... you need a full STi ECU and ABS controller to get the auto mode... sorry we didn't mention this". I also recieved a harness for the brain for the wrong year/model of car, so I'm going to have to get creative with that. They also sent me the wrong shift linkage which I have to wait until monday (hopefully) to get the proper one.

So net result of today....

*lots of cuts and swearing
*discovered my 5 speed was much worse than I thought after it puked up an entire bearing set when I drained the tranny oil
*Depending on how violent I have to get to remove the final flywheel bolt... I may have to buy/install a new crankshaft
*can't finish the car this weekend due to rallispecs cockup
*very tired and angry
*realizing I should have just bought a freaking STi

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I bet after sitting all night and feeling guilty for all of the pain and anguish it has caused you, that flywheel bolt will come right out. As a matter of fact, it told me that it would be easy on you.

Hopefully Rallispec will reimburse you for all of the inconveniences they've caused you. At least your pain and suffering will be worthwhile when you get it all back together, but if they fix their screwups, that'd be an added bonus. And your car is much more rare, pretty, special, and fabulous than an STi. When everything is said and done, you'll agree with me.

Good luck tomorrow. :) May the force be with you.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the flywheel bolt had not learned it's lesson and decided to be nice. By the time we got it out it was completely destroyed. So now I have to wait until the Subaru dealership is open monday to get a new flywheel bolt (assuming this podunk dealership stocks those things). I was hoping to get everything in the car except for the shift linkage today, throw the linkage in in 20 minutes monday and be done with it. But between the flywheel bolt, and rallispec not sending me anything close to what I need to re-assemble the rear diff it will be a few more days. I'm pretty much forced to have the dealership re-assemble the rear diff. We also managed to knock the coolant return for the turbo loose and dump half the engine coolant all over the floor.

The worst is still definately dealing with the rallispec hardware, the harness they made for the DCCD controller matches up to absolutely nothing on the tranny so I'm going to have to spend some time pouring over the service manual and somehow get a pinout of what the heck rallispec did to the DCCD harness and do a great deal of soldering. Nothing in the rallispec harness from the DCCD brain matches up to what the service manual says (turns out the brain they sent me was for an ancient version of the DCCD without the auto mode). So somehow I am going to have to get a pinout of the brain rallispec sent me even though it takes them several days to a week to ever get back to me. In the mean time I'm going to have to drive the car around with a full rear bias (clutch packs totally inactive) which means I can't beat on the car because I don't trust the R160 diff. to hold that power.

Oh well... yet more delays until I can finally have fun with the car again.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
So wouldn't it be easier for you to send back the brain and harness for the correct ones? I don't understand why you should have to redo everything because they f'ed up. Maybe I'm just confused though.

Anyway, patience is a virtue. Sucks that you're having all of these setbacks, but that's pretty much to be expected. Nothing goes smoothly when modding. Makes things more exciting when you finally get everything put together though. :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish it were a simple proposition to simply get the right brain/harness... but the one they sent me is the only one they make. I was assured everything would fit my car without issue... but looks like the product development people they have working there are just about as on top of things as their shipping department.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts