ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So, as some of you know I'm in search of 'race' ramps (I believe they are called). My question is, will my bumper hit these ramps before my tires do? or is the angle too steep? Any input would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Race Ramps are a specific brand of ramps that are designed specifically for lowered cars, so no your bumper will not hit them.

Reactions: Mike193

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
yep, np man.

just so you know, you can get regular ramps from auto zone/pepboys/advance/whatever for under $50 and they'll work fine as long as you aren't lowered.

If you are lowered (I'm 99% sure you're stock, right?) or plan on lowering it, then I would actually consider the RaceRamps (if they have gone down in price).

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These I found off Autozone.com so I had figured it was the cheapest they offered. I am stock, and not lowered so the cheapest I can find are what I'll buy. Maybe the mom and pop shop around the corner from me offers better prices then autozone. I've got some browsing to do after school.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
yep, np man.

just so you know, you can get regular ramps from auto zone/pepboys/advance/whatever for under $50 and they'll work fine as long as you aren't lowered.

If you are lowered (I'm 99% sure you're stock, right?) or plan on lowering it, then I would actually consider the RaceRamps (if they have gone down in price).
That's not entirely true. I have a set of steel ramps from AutoZone, and they don't clear my stock ride height bugeye. I was using them for a van when I bought them, so it wasn't a problem, but I'll have to make some short shims out of 2x4s to lessen the incline for the bugeye. It's not hard, and they'll work great once I cut the shims, but my point is they didn't work straight out of the box. For the total cost though, I have something just as functional and safe as RaceRamps, but much cheaper.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I have a 2011 WRX, OP has a 2011 STi, I don't scrape on them at all, so I figured it's safe to say that he won't either.

I totally see where you're coming from though. 2x4's are almost as useful as duck tape!

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I combine a set of ramps I got for $40 & 2X4s.OP should have no problem with clearance using just Rhino ramps.

& if he decides to lower the car or add a lip he can always do the 2X4 mod.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I have the pepboys style ramps and a set from AZ. The AZ ones are a little narrower but that's really the only difference. I've got 08 sti springs on the front of my WRX so its about 15mm lower than factory up front. The bumper just rubbs a slight bit. ( I usually shove them up to the tires then drive the car up vs aproaching them rolling) If I go lower I'll have to figure something out to make the ramps longer/slighter angle.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Rhino Ramps here. $40 from Advanced Auto a few years ago.

mangostick said:
The bumper just rubbs a slight bit. ( I usually shove them up to the tires then drive the car up vs aproaching them rolling)
I'm in the same boat as Shawn.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
I have regular ramps and two small plastic wedges when combined with a regular steel it helps have yet to have a problem. I used them on my firebird and it was a lower then my wrx

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input guys. I had the 2x4 idea in my head to fallback on. My driveway is also a steep hill,and the top by the garages is flat, so i can always put them on the flat part so its almost like an extension of the hill.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
^^yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'll be doing. I just need about an inch and a half rise (giggity!) to not scrape on the ramps, I have some leftover 2x4s and 3/4" plywood from my tire rack project that should do nicely.

·
Registered
212 Posts
whats wrong with a jack, and stands. or am i old-school, and out of date?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Nothing wrong with them, but certain things like swaybars should be installed with the suspension under load. Ramps are a great way to do that. Not to mention ramps are easier to drive up on than setting up jack stands when you don't need to remove the wheels.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I suppose jack stand work just as fine, but ramps are more ideal at times. like for an oil change, much easier to drive forward a foot or 2 then get under the car rather then take 5 minutes to jack it up

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I have both.. some jobs are ramp jobs.. some are jack n stand jobs. depends on what's on the docket. ;)

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,731 Posts
I feel more comfortable with the car on ramps then I do on jack stands. I have limited time under the car, but anytime I'm under there with stands, I'm always worried about yanking on a wrench too hard for fear that the stand will tip lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts