ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 15+ has 3 traction modes. Full on trac. Mode and full off. If I am doing a rallycross event, should I be in trac.mode or full off? I’ve read a bit online about what they are but I can’t tell which would be advantageous in this case.

·
Æternum
21,276 Posts
If it's a true mixed-surface rallycross event, I would opt for traction control fully defeated. You will to be able to use power to break traction in the loose material to get around corners.

If this is an STI, no issue. Those fancy diffs will distribute power where it needs to go. If it's a WRX, well... it wasn't really built for this. You will probably want the car in "Traction Mode" in order to keep the car from being a one-wheel-wonder. YMMV.

You are a bolder person than I for taking a relatively new car to such a demanding event.

·
12,232 Posts
This might be a tough test for the wrx. I agree with zax about the traction selection. You may find the traction control system freaks out during this though as the vehicles control systems are fighting for traction against you. You may or may not see power cut and the random application of brakes to certain wheels to counteract what you are doing causing some line selection issues.

Give it hell though, I've not seen much around the wrx in this condition so I can't even speculate with any authority aside from blind guessing based off of low traction driving like winter shenanigans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. From winter shenanigans I’m thinking probably trac. mode as well. I recently lifted the car with king lift springs and rce struts. Plus a skid plate and some mud flaps and upgraded control arms I think the car is up to the challenge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's a true mixed-surface rallycross event, I would opt for traction control fully defeated. You will to be able to use power to break traction in the loose material to get around corners.

If this is an STI, no issue. Those fancy diffs will distribute power where it needs to go. If it's a WRX, well... it wasn't really built for this. You will probably want the car in "Traction Mode" in order to keep the car from being a one-wheel-wonder. YMMV.

You are a bolder person than I for taking a relatively new car to such a demanding event.
I know traction is going to be my biggest problem. I’m beefing up the rest of the car for the pounding

·
Æternum
21,276 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it a WRX? A rear clutch-type LSD should be a significant consideration:
TYPE-RS Limited Slip Differential Catalog English page CUSCO

This all depends on 1. What are the rulebook requirements for the event? 2. Do you wish to remain competitive?
It is a wrx but it is also my daily. I find myself on dirt road decently often, but my driving is mostly city. So I would want to make sure something like that wouldn’t make it feel bad for the other 95% of the time

·
Æternum
21,276 Posts
No, there are no downsides to installing a proper LSD besides cost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts