ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just installed the Rallitek swaybar set on my naked silver 08 hatchback. I thought you guys would benefit from an unbiased review. I installed with front AVO endlinks and stock rear endlinks (the rears I ordered still not here:( )

Install:
1. Not a breeze like most people suggested, but not nearly as difficult as spring/strut swaps. I used ramps as suggested. It gets pretty claustrophobic under there!
2. Somehow the fronts were easier than the rears? Fitment on the front bar was great. The rear had a bit more play than I expected, so getting everything lined up was more of a challenge. The rear endlinks are placed under a bit more forward torque than with the stock bar for some reason. This may prove to be a problem later on.
3. Subaru apparently uses playdough bolts as I broke one off while attaching the rear bushing/bracket. The enemy of good is better. Keep this in mind when you do this install. I used a 5/16ths size bolt and washer to replace it. This kit should have stronger replacement bolts.
4. Avo endlinks worked well. They are basically a manly version of stock; nothing extra or fancy.
5. No direction page included! Not that I needed it, but it would have been nice to know the steps to save time (first swaybar install, first subaru) or if I needed to torque any bolts to specific spec.
6. The stock brackets fit much better than the kit brackets. Perhaps Rallitek should figure a way to incorporate them into the install (make bushings that fit the stock brackets.

Test drive:
1. Significantly less roll. The car sticks much better and responds to inputs better, though theres a bit more tire slippage in the rear on tight corners/bends. The stock 205s are not enough to realize the full potential of the upgrade. The feel is more like a performance car, vs. daily driver. Handling is significantly more neutral.
2. Ride got stiffer. I know what theory says; the ride got stiffer. I'm not sure if its from urethane brushings transmitting more road noise/turbulence, or the decrease in wheel independence. There's more see-sawing over uneven roads.

Final Verdict: this mod helps me drive like a hero. I would strongly recommend this to anybody dissatisfied with floaty feel of the 08. Ride quality suffers abit, but hey, I didn't buy a toyota camry. Another option would be to simply swap the stock rear only to avoid some of the ride penalty, though this makes for a very twitchy car ( test drove it between rear and front installs).

Next up for me: Perrin ST adaptor

-laters.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics? I thought I remember there wasn't sway bars on the 08's. :confused:
Oh, there is my friend... Front and rear whimpy stock ones. I believe you're thinking about the 08 impreza; no RSB there.

Rallitek.com

I'll try and get some pics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the write-up and experience. I might be ordering the RalliTek front and rear set in the next few days. Not sure about which end links to go with yet but RalliTek tells me that their end links should be available for sale/ordering next week. Haven't gotten prices yet.

Have you replaced the read end links yet? If so, with which ones .. and did you experience any problems with the stock rear end links on there?

Thanks again

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the write-up and experience. I might be ordering the RalliTek front and rear set in the next few days. Not sure about which end links to go with yet but RalliTek tells me that their end links should be available for sale/ordering next week. Haven't gotten prices yet.

Have you replaced the read end links yet? If so, with which ones .. and did you experience any problems with the stock rear end links on there?

Thanks again
This is my opinion on endlinks - unless you're autocrossing, the stockers should be strong enough.
I initially installed the bars with AVO fronts and stock rears.
This combination made the car twitchy and seemed to significantly stiffen the ride to the point of being uncomfortable on uneven paved roads, so I switched back to stock front links.
The stock rear links are kinda whimpy.
I just got a set of rear replacements that are money from groupA.
Go to www.groupa.ca to find them.
Solid aluminum construction and well built.

-RL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts