ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My experience with Rallispec was not a pleasant one. I will not go back to them for business ever. I will not recommend them to anyone. If you can find ANYBODY else to do your work, try that person first, then try it yourself, then maybe if you are at your wits end... still don't try Rallispec.

My experience:

In the pursuit of Subaru perfection it is quite apparent to everyone that our transmissions are lacking in the strength and durability department. My little 5MT has done an AMAZING job at keeping up with 300HP from a turbo 2.5RS. However, my deceleration noise was getting to be unbearable. It slowly became a grinding/howling that resonated throughout the entire car.

After researching my options I decided that beefing the 5MT is what I wanted to do. That is when I contacted Rallispec on numerous occasions with many questions. In that regard they were very helpfull. My problem arose when it was time to get the work done.

Over the phone I was told that turnaround was only about 4 days. WOW. I was very impressed.

I asked about job pricing for delivering the car or delivering the transmission by itself. It was expressed to me that they would rather NOT pull the tranny for me. It would be less expensive and faster if I did it myself. This was not the case.

When I delivered my 5MT on July 10th I was told that I would have it back in plenty of time to install it and make an August 1st autocross. Today is September 3rd and I just recieved confirmation of shipment today.

Nearing the end of July I called Rallispec. I had not heard word of my transmissions condition or a total cost to fix it. At this point they informed me they hadn't even cracked the case on it yet because they didn't have all the parts. Almost three weeks had gone by from the day I dropped it off and they didn't feel it was important to tell me what was going on. I was frustrated. Apparently, my STi gears had not even been manufactured yet and were backordered... Not the fault of Rallispec I know, but why quote me such a fast turn around if they don't even know the status of thier parts. I was informed, however, that I had FIRST priority on the incoming shipment of STi gears.
I would like to take this time to add that when I went to Rallispec to drop off my tranny they had approximately THREE other trannys there.

Around the 8th of August I call for an update. Still no gears. But I do learn that someone in Hawaii ordered the wrong set of gears a few months back and didn't want them. They were waiting for the return. These gears were still in Hawaii, for sale on the local forum. I contacted the member and made the purchase myself. He overnighted the gears to me. But being FedEx and being the end of the week, they took four days or so. I contact Rallispec and told them that I was going to be sending them the gears I needed installed. I also expressed to them the absolute necessity to get my car reasembled in the very near future because I was going to be out a car soon. I told them that on August 21st, I'd have no car. August 17th I overnighted the gears.

They didn't care. They had a rally coming up.

August 24rd I call for an update. My tranny is waiting on synchros. WHAT?!? I told them when I dropped the tranny off that I wanted sychros installed. Apparently they had used up their supply of synchros on "THE LAST EIGHT TRANSMISSIONS" that they built in the last week and a half. ***? Why did I get bumped to the end of the line? Because the other owners delivered their whole cars! THE EXACT THING THEY TOLD ME NOT TO DO!! Where did they think my tranny came from?

So of course, now, I am furious. I was always polite and never yelled. But boy did it take everything I had to keep from doing so.

So the story ends like this. September 2nd, my tranny is completed. I spoke to Rallispec on the phone and told them my displeasure in this. I wanted LARGE monetary compensation. This job cost me 4000 dollars + rental car fees. They offered a measly 125 bucks in discounts on parts only. They didn't discount the labor, they didn't ship it to me for free.
I have yet to recieve my tranny. However if shipping is as they claim, it will be here on Tuesday september 7th. That is three days short of TWO MONTHS that my car has been on jacks. That is One MONTH and a WEEK longer than promised for this job.

Now for the swearing.
Screw Rallispec.
Screw you Dave and whatever the rest of your names are.
You ARE NOT professionals as you deem yourself.
Your customer service SUCKS. All I wanted was a more appoligetic attitude by your staff and the appropriate amount of compensation. My parts discount doesn't even cover the rental car I had to get because you can't get things done as promised.
I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND YOU TO ANYONE EVER. I HOPE YOU GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

here's my reciept with my big discount.

Keep in mind that I had to go to someone else to get the 1600 dollar gears for my tranny. That makes the total for this well over 4000

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Wow, what an eye opener :( Sorry to hear that you missed your event because of the slowmotion service from Rallispec, I have heard before that they are slow but never that slow!

Are you thinking about seeking any sort of legal advice on this matter? I would if I had a $4k bill in my hand and 2 months of dead time when the job was quoted at 4 days.

Good luck,

~Tim

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Damn man, I'm really sorry to hear this about Rallispec...but honestly it doesn't really surprise me. I've heard they do good work but their customer service sucks, and since they have a mini-monopoly on the gear situations in the eastern seaboard, its one of the only good places to go. However, this just reinforces the stories that I've heard about these guys.

Sorry you were out of driving your car around for so long....you car's awesome. Hopefully they read this and attempt to make ammends with you, but it sounds like its already too late for that.

-Josh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I missed TWO events! Not to mention renting a car in upstate new york during track season. Economy rental is 255 bucks a week.
I forgot to mention that when I told them the discount they gave me wasn't enough they said "it's all we can do"

What a bunch of BS.

She kept asking "so is that ok then?"
I kept saying "no, it isn't. I think my balance should be less.... [blah blah blah]"

"well that's all we can do."

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
"Okay, so we're gonna ask you to bend over right now, how does that sound?"
"It doesn't sound good at all, please change it!"
"Okay, but thats all we can do, so please bend over. Is that what you want?"

:rotfl:

Sounds like a broken record

·
Registered
241 Posts
damn, sorry bro....
i understand how you feel.

I bought my BC coilovers from RandDmotorsports.com
GREAT GREAT tuning shop with awesome pricing.
Those guys know their sh*t.....
Dave the owner, gives 100% customer satisfaction and assists in all his can and doesnt sound like a broken record.

but IMPREZARSX, i had a similar problem like you with BuddyClub USA in cali.

I ordered my suspension in APril (6 damn months ago) and its STILL not here. to make a long story short.
(07/02/04) BC in cali states, delay at port , takes 3 weeks to bring container in
(07/27/04) after 3 weeks, stated another 3 weeks.
(08/15/04) i say i will file a legal complaint since they giving me BS and run around answers

now Buddyclub emails quickly
"OH, those coilovers been here since June and there was never a delay at the ports and our staff is professionally trained, blah blah blah......."
me and the shop that go tthe coilovers for me almost every other day checked on status and delay is the answer we get.

so now its been over 6 months and I THINK its being shipped here.

as a word of advice. NEVER order anything from BUDDYCLUB unless its in stock and get EMAIL verification as proof..

RandDmotorsports you guys rock...

rallispec..... i dont know :confused:
buddyclub...... :thumbdown :bs:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sorry to hear you arent happy. They still are backordered on STi RA gearsets, I purchased a trans with a RA set originally bought from mauro motorsports. They are directly supplied by Rallispec. However 5th gear doesnt work... so Dave volunteered to fix it. My suby goes under the knife the first week in october. I expect to pay over 1000 in labor. but its worth it. everyone else has been happy. You cannot find ANYONE in the country to do a trans rebuild for 560 bucks... unless its a fired/retired subaru mechanic. which is where i went wrong!

And i do not find the bill unreasonable. Subaru charges 4400 for a complete rebuild of another junk transmission. compared to 1600 + 560. You spent a big chunk of change on that differential too, that is why your rallispec bill is expensive. The other issue is that they are extremely busy over there. Dave puts in 80+hrs a week, and only has 2 other people assisting.

in late august, the soonest appointment available was October 4th. i could see why your transmission might sit for longer than expected. 4 day turnaround only happens if all parts are in. A word of advice... if your gonna bring ANY shop, a transmission, phone first, and ask if you are going to need synchros, ESPECIALLY if you are bringin in an RS transmission.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called repeatedly. We scheduled an appointment. I told him when I dropped it off I wanted all the synchros replaced. He wrote that on my work request. We talked on the phone about differentials, he forgot we ever did.

He forgot a lot of things. I understand that he is working an insane amount of hours. Busting his ass and all, but he needs a better method. Honest customer service that is slow is better than forgetfull service that is slow. I fully believe that he just bit off more than he can chew. He needs to slow it down. He needs to tell people BEFORE they pull out their tranny and drive 6 hours each way that he doesn't have the parts in stock.

Simple things like that.

However, I'm getting over this, really. Dave and I have said our sides (mostly on Nasioc) made our appologies and agreed to disagree.

The tranny is pretty awesome by the way. I have a few minor problems with vibrations in fourth gear (the shifter bounces too) and the fact that he didn't replace ALL the synchros like I asked. First gear is still very notchy. Also he didn't find the source of my deceleration noise, which is the main reason I was having the tranny rebuilt... he seems to have forgotten that too.

He just needs more help over there I think. Some more assistance and he'll be doing a whole lot better.

·
Registered
447 Posts
well the decelleration noise is present in all 4wd/awd cars. Most credit the issue to the flywheel when decellerating. Subaru remedies the problem with a heavier model which keeps the transmission loaded and quiet.

im sure you know that subaru parts take at least a week to order, regardless if its a shop or dealer.

I hope they do a good job on my transmission, because my car has been off the road since JULY! I hate driving SUV's that are slow, hog gas, and cant stop or handle. cant wait to get the scooby back.

if everything goes as planned they will get a good writeup from me after ive driven it for an extended time.

oh for the notchiness, try some synthetic gear lube. AMSOIL 2000 is like butter. too bad it all leaked out of my tranny cuz some assclown didnt seal it up right.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Oh no, you mean the tranny's decellerating sound can get worse? Mine got really loud when I installed a lightweight flywheel, but I didn't know the sound can get louder.

I'm going to order an RA gearset over the winter so I can drag with less worry next summer. Can't I just order it and have somebody beside Rallispec do it, like a local tranny shop?

·
Registered
447 Posts
yea you can do that.. I got my gearset installed by an ex subaru tech, who ordered the gearset from Mauro motorsports (Rallispec Kit),

Unfortunately he screwed up the assembly of the main shaft. (5th gear doesnt engage)

Dave, from Rallispec told me he had no problem correcting the matter. I already have fresh bearings, synchros, seals, and gaskets so i should be good to go once a stock 5th gear and assembly is pressed onto the main shaft.

I sent Rallispec seals, and another transmission for 5th gear and assembly.

They start workin on it tomorrow. Wish me luck!! :cool:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Original Call date August 27th : Scheduled for October 4th

Car arrived September 15th @ rallispec via tractor trailor

October 5th : No progress, Dave was home sick Monday and tuesday. was supposed to have an update friday

October 8th: No progress, " Dave was sick for a week and a half, and today is his first day back", Im supposed to have an update Monday.

At this point, im wondering if they lost the keys to my car.
Is anybody out there? :sadwave:

·
Princess Moderator
14,838 Posts
Anzioblack44

Is the work done yet? Did you ever get your car back?? Whats the deal...? :confused:
I dont think I'll ever use rallispec! :thumbdown Not if this is what happens when you get or want service there. :screwy:

Sorry ...I hope it all works out!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sorry i havent been back here...

2 weeks after the appointment date, i picked up my subaru. Ive been driving it for a week now, no leaks, no quirks, just a little more gear noise in 1st and 2nd. I need a beefier clutch, seeing as i have stickier tires plus a taller gear. I drove it for 14 straight hours back to chicago successfully, without any moments of panic.

Im glad i had Dave do it, i feel very secure with the transmission now.

i think the wait was well worth it.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
Anzioblack44 said:
Sorry i havent been back here...

2 weeks after the appointment date, i picked up my subaru. Ive been driving it for a week now, no leaks, no quirks, just a little more gear noise in 1st and 2nd. I need a beefier clutch, seeing as i have stickier tires plus a taller gear. I drove it for 14 straight hours back to chicago successfully, without any moments of panic.

Im glad i had Dave do it, i feel very secure with the transmission now.

i think the wait was well worth it.
What ratios did you have installed? I was under the impression that the RA gears were slightly shorter ratios than the standard WRX (I definately could be wrong)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts