Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my radio just went dead.. no power to the radio.. =( can you guys help me what is going on? i checked the radio fuse under the steering wheel but that was still good... what else can i check?? arrrg... my wrx is closer to the STi now... no music!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump... noone had this problem?

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Have you actually metered the power wire(s) to your radio, to see if it's getting 12V? Th3Franz' idea about checking the ground is a good one, too. Oftentimes, an aftermarket install will involve finding an available ground point near the radio, and it's certainly possible for a nut to shake loose after several thousand miles of vibration. Keep us posted...:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hhmm.. ok i'll go check the ground today...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Yea, especially if you attach the ground with out grinding off any of the paint so you get a clean metal to metal contact.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
mmmmm.....I doubt ground. Yeah, if it came completely loose then the stereo would die. But with a poor ground it'd still work, you'd just get a lot of whining through the speakers.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the ground is still good =\ dammit what could this be?

·
38,620 Posts
GV27 said:
mmmmm.....I doubt ground. Yeah, if it came completely loose then the stereo would die. But with a poor ground it'd still work, you'd just get a lot of whining through the speakers.
I've had 12V accessories die before due to a flaky ground. Sounds like it's not his problem, though...:wiggles:

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
I've had 12V accessories die before due to a flaky ground. Sounds like it's not his problem, though...:wiggles:
Check you power next - both switched and constant. Get a 12v circuit tester that looks like an icepick. You can stick the tip of it into wiring harnesses and crimp connectors. Start at the head unit and work your way back.

C

·
Registered
91 Posts
If it is an aftermarket headset, you should be able to go back to the distributor you got it from and they should check it for you. I mean if you can out and it was just dead without you even touching or doing anything then they should fix it for you. What is the warranties you have on it. Did you take out those extra ones?

·
38,620 Posts
Yeah, early on I suggested that he meter out the 12V going to the unit. There's really no other logical way to start to troubleshoot this problem, IMO.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Since you have an aftermarket radio did you check the fuse on the radio, usually hidden behind the wiring harness. If that fuse blew you definity having a short circuit somewhere. It took me a box of fuses to find out that one of my crimp connectors had a stray wire hanging out causing the short out.

-alex

1 - 14 of 14 Posts