ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was driving today in my stage 2 02 rex and my radiator blew the top hose.... you can obviously see where the colant was literally blowing out of the top hose... So there is no subaru dealership, so i took it to my "friends" dealership (Honda) and they tell me the radiator is completly blown and i need a new one... (what a surprise)

After doing some searching on here i see that we have plastic caps that seem to blow inside the actual hose, and i really think it cracked... b/c i was smelled faint fluid smells a couple days before... but I am obviously going to get a second opinion, but i want to know if i am okay to drive if i baby it, just a couple of miles here or there, going from mechanic to mechanic???? because the car only started over heating when i lost some fluid from the top... So i am going to fill it all the way up and I was wondering if someone can tell me if i drive from a cold start if i will hurt my engine just driving it no more than 5 miles at a time??? Thanks for the quick response in advance guys!

-Aaron

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
Nobody can tell you with certainty. You'll have to judge by how the temperature gauge reads. Consider flatbedding (never tow!) the car if need be. Also consider a DIY rad replacement with help from a friend if necessary.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Subaru says you can tow if left in neutral if you're a manual transmission, and do not have DCCD

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
Subaru says you can tow if left in neutral if you're a manual transmission, and do not have DCCD
How many wheels on the ground? I assume all four. Four or none at all is what I'd do -- I prefer none at all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea well i got AAA to tow me today b/c i was scared to even started the car after seeing that. Im not sure if they will tow me again... All i have to go by is my thermostat in the car(which well all know how accurate that is) but today i watched it go above the three fourths mark, and thats when i stopped, so it was working... I think if i fill it all the way up and baby it i should be okay, i will just keep my eye on the needle and if i gets above the second mark just pull in some where and shut it down... I just want to make sure i dont pop my motor, that is my main concern. I was going WOT when all this happend yesterday and when i looked i lost half of my fluid and i think thats why it started to rise so quickly..... thanks for the info, is there anywhere i can get a radiator install instructions?

-Aaron

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i went back today, and added fluid and saw when i got home(no over heating) that i have a crack in top plastic to the right of the rubber hose inlet.... Can you replace that one cap? It looks as if it is apart of the radiator itself, but i don't know...

The crack is about the 3 inches long, could i get some radaitor puddy, to put on there to atleast slow this down, while i consider my options???

Thanks for the quick response guys, i really apprciate it

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
How many wheels on the ground? I assume all four. Four or none at all is what I'd do -- I prefer none at all.
all four.. otherwise you bind the c.diff.

You cannot tow a Auto though, I'm assuming if you get an external oil cooler and flow pump for the auto that you can do it though... That's how it is with most auto's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts