Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but didn't get the information I wanted.

I went out today and checked my oil and coolant. My oil was fine, so I took the radiator cap off, which kind of stuck for a moment, and noticed my coolant was a HAIR empty. But I also noticed that around the INNER EDGE of the Raidator Filler, what you put the radiaor cap on, had surface rust all around it. The coolant looks fine, but I don't want to have to deal with rusty coolant down the line.

So I think my radiator cap is leaking, since there is a little crusty remnants of antifreeze all over the outer circumference of the radiator filler.

So my question is is, what do you think I should do?

Should I take my car to the MOD friendly dealer and claim warranty, because I really don't want an entire rusty radiator system, which will happen if I don't act now.

Is there any way to kill the rust around the inner edge of the radiator filler?

I think my radiator cap is the culprit of the rust and the crusty remnants of antifreeze. So I am going to replace my radiator cap.
Should I go with a STI cap. Like this thread is talking about?

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6878&highlight=radiator+cap

I would like some comments and or suggestions.

Thanks,
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Saw the same thing last week when installing my VF34. It did concern me slightly. I dont think it will cause any major damage. That reminds me to take a better look at it to see what part is actually oxidizing. I also had some small flecks of black paint paint hanging around that area too. Need to flush my coolant system soon anyway. Not that flushing the system would fix the problem. The stainless cap you mentioned might though.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey Kurleee, I use to apply some high temp moly grease to the radiator cap for issues like these. In my 1973 2002tii, I had the same problem, so I did a complete coolant flush and refilled. Starting from new again...and after a week it I noticed rust around the cap again. I applied grease and the problem is intermittent now.

Do a flush.
Replace radiator cap (CHEAP fix!!)
apply a little grease to the inside edge of the cap.

It's normal to see some rust around the edge there...so don't sweat it. Just make sure you do a flush every 1 or 2 years.

-LostLamb

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LostLamb said:
Hey Kurleee, I use to apply some high temp moly grease to the radiator cap for issues like these. In my 1973 2002tii, I had the same problem, so I did a complete coolant flush and refilled. Starting from new again...and after a week it I noticed rust around the cap again. I applied grease and the problem is intermittent now.

Do a flush.
Replace radiator cap (CHEAP fix!!)
apply a little grease to the inside edge of the cap.

It's normal to see some rust around the edge there...so don't sweat it. Just make sure you do a flush every 1 or 2 years.

-LostLamb
No, not too much rust. Just surface rust around the inside edge of the filler neck. The coolant looks fine. I will keep my eye on it and the antifreeze. I just don't want to look in the coolant one day and find it orange. Thanks for the replies.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey Kurlee, if your coolant is orange when you look in it....then something else is rusting. It won't be just your radiator cap, or rather it won't be the radiator cap that is your problem :).

-LostLamb

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LostLamb said:
Hey Kurlee, if your coolant is orange when you look in it....then something else is rusting. It won't be just your radiator cap, or rather it won't be the radiator cap that is your problem :).

-LostLamb
I was just saying that I hope the surface rust from the filler neck doesn't spread and start corroding the entire cooling system. I hope Subaru used some decent antifreeze that has corrosion protection in it.

It hasn't yet spread. I was just a little worried about it. You would think a new car with only 13K wouldn't have rust in the cooling system already.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing really. I can still see the surface rust, but it hasn't gotten much worse. The coolant is still green, and there are no bits like I described above floating anymore. I just decided to stop worrying about it, until it gets noticeably worse.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yep, I have the same problem. Took it to subaru and they are supposed to order the 03 alluminum top to replace the 02 black painted top. Should be calling me any day once they get the part in. I just took a rag and cleaned out as much of the paint as possible, but it will be nice having a non painted cover on.

·
Registered
679 Posts
KanosWRX said:
Yep, I have the same problem. Took it to subaru and they are supposed to order the 03 alluminum top to replace the 02 black painted top. Should be calling me any day once they get the part in. I just took a rag and cleaned out as much of the paint as possible, but it will be nice having a non painted cover on.
I was going to ask this. What yr is your car Kurly?

I too noticed the '03+ get a non-painted top, but I never thought that it was made of a different material.

The STi cap is a good idea performance-wise, but people have reported radiator leaks from the increased pressure, so I think I'll hold off until I upgrade mine.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I just had my black tank on my 02 wrx replaced with the silver tank from the 03 under warranty, no more chances of paint coming off now :)

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TypeC said:
I was going to ask this. What yr is your car Kurly?

I too noticed the '03+ get a non-painted top, but I never thought that it was made of a different material.

The STi cap is a good idea performance-wise, but people have reported radiator leaks from the increased pressure, so I think I'll hold off until I upgrade mine.
I have an MY02. Most '02's came with a black pained top. I wish I would have gotten it replaced when I went in for warranty repair for my clutch shudder replacement. No I'm fuqd. They won't do any repairs with my big Hyperflow TMIC.

Right now I am using the Blitz blue top radiator cap. It holds pressure fine. I am just praying for no leaks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
33k miles

i got 33k miles i checked it out the other day and my turbo coolant lid is painted black .... i read the post a few months ago before i put 10,000 miles on my car and forgot about it until now ... so i figure now is a good time to do it i will do it this weekend hopefully...

can anyone tell me if it does clog what will it do over heat the turbo?
thanks
-steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts