ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed in the last day or so there was a few threads that were closed down. Most of which had to do w/ "discussions" which more or less turned in to arguments about rolling starts when people didn't agree w/ others. There was some explitives thrown about, and thus the thread degenerated really fast. Doesn't bother me tho. What bothers me is that alot of you guys think its perfectly ok to race on public streets. I'm 23, I have an '04 WRX and I do enjoy going fast... but I think its just out right ridiculous to race when there are other people on the street. I don't see why you guys just don't go to the track and get your fix there. Don't you guys even think about getting into an accident w/ other people or worse killing someone who's just an innocent by stander just to have a few seconds of glory?

I know there are alot of members who feel the same way as I do; that street racing is stupid and needs to be saved for the track; and I know alot think its perfectly fine. I just want to see what people think about this topic. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
A real street racer deosn't race cars at 5 o'clock in the afternoon in traffic. Thats what we call a Dumass! True street racer do it on a closed location.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
ask any racer, it doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I agree, racing on streets is stupid. I'll also admit there there are (FEW) exceptions... one being 'off the line' racing at a light, which I'll do occasionally, but I'll only go up to about 10 over the speed limit (tho I won't even do this if I'm in a residential area).

I've been 'discussing' this with my boyfriend for awhile now. I try to tell him how dumb it is (he's 24... I'm 22). He says it's fun and I can agree with that... it's fun to 'prove' to someone that his car isn't just 'rice' and 'show' but that it kicks butt. However, I don't think the fun is worth the risks:
- Why risk losing your license to a reckless driving ticket?
- Why risk your life? You may know the roads, but one new pothole, crack or piece of debris from an earlier accident or blow tire and you're toast!
- Why risk someone else's life, and your own? Cause a death to another driver, passenger or pedestrian and you could be charged with vehicular manslaughter. Why live with that on your conscience, and why worry about what position Bubba likes?

I've also been trying to say that it's better to go have real proof, from a track (he does race on the track, both autox and drag). Greg may be a good driver, but why chance that the one he's racing against isn't? And why encourage less-experienced drivers to do the same and cause harm to themselves and others??

I just don't understand it I guess... for me the risks outweigh the thrills. I think I'm being sensible, but a lot of people just think I'm a pu**y (and being a girl, with an auto, I must be, right? :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
so check it out its like this....

i dont know about you guys...but im into double clutchin....not granny shifting

one time i was racing this dude and like my floor fell out and sh*t so i started bangin on my laptop, then i spun out....damn ya know im glad my hundred shot of nos didnt blow the welds on my intake tho....

street racing....yay

jk.....teh gayness

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
WRX13oy said:
ask any racer, it doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.
I almost had you.

Edit: and on that note.
I've never raced on any road that was having heavy traffic, well at least not to the point that I've had to weave around it. Worst I've ever done is the same as most people quick show of speed and a quick show of brakes to follow.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
WRX13oy said:

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Wether its caldesack or the nice 1/4 in front of the the middle school in my town, I take it to the limit everyday. I make sure I dump my ultra huge BOV in front of every old lady i can find, especially the ones I use to sleep with

Butterflie said:
- Why risk losing your license to a reckless driving ticket?

Cause I never got one in the first place

Butterflie said:
- Why risk your life?

My life sucks

Butterflie said:
- Why risk someone else's life, and your own?

Cause their lives suck too

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
I do my driving on Arizona Mt lemon all the time but I go really late at night anywhere between 1:45 and 2:15 To make sure there is no traffic up there. But other wise I take it to the track to get my fix and I find my self driving mt lemon less and less which is a good thing. Everyone be safe.

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
26,071 Posts
Matrix 1193 said:
I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Wether its caldesack or the nice 1/4 in front of the the middle school in my town, I take it to the limit everyday. I make sure I dump my ultra huge BOV in front of every old lady i can find, especially the ones I use to sleep with :rotfl: :rotfl:

Cause I never got one in the first place

My life sucks

Cause their lives suck too

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
I used to stoplight race a couple years ago...but then I got caught and arrested, and had to go through a whole bunch of crap. Eventually I got it dropped down to a lesser offense and avoided jail time (let alone a criminal record), but it sure as hell wasn't a fun experience.

Best of luck to any of you who get caught. Having a criminal record won't be very fun for you if you get convicted of reckless driving. Everything I went through definitely wasn't worth the few moments of adrenaline rush I used to get...just imagine if I wrecked or hit someone else...would it be worth it then?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Racing on the street is bad, even if you think its safe to, cuz you can never predict some pedestrian being in street, or some other random occurance. Also, if you make a mistake on the street its usually not too forgiving. But I'm not saying im perfect or anything when it comes to not pushing it on the street. I do get a GREAT fix though from autox and road course though!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well i understand whats everyone is saying! doon't get me wrong. I got tickets befor for whatching a street race. Ticket ran me 650 bucks once.

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
3,814 Posts
Racing on the streets... Yay or Nay?

I race on the street. I do so only after 10 PM, and usually only on the highway. At this time, and in this place, there are usually 1-2 cars per mile if that. I wait until there are no cars in sight before starting the race. :cool:

You can look at this anyway you want. I know it is still wrong and illegal and unsafe, but I also know that it is the safest possible way to race on the street. I buy fast cars to use them. Now you can say, "Why don't you race on the track, where it belongs...". Well, I'll tell you why...

First off, I live in CT. The closest 1/4 mile track is 2 hours away in NJ. Too far to drive there and back a few times a week, etc. Secondly, and most importantly is related to an incident that happened to me today... I recently have been getting more and more interested it road course racing (track) and have had the biggest urge to try it. Lime Rock raceway is only about 40 minutes away from my house. Perfect, I thought! Until I checked out there website. You used to be able to pay about $100 and get a days worth of driving, skid pad, and autocross if you liked. Now, they have decided to close the track to the public! :eek3: Now you can race there all you want for a $3500 membership to the Skip Barber driving school. BULL$HIT !!! :unhappy:

My point is it is so difficult to race race in a legal matter and so easy to do it on the street. If it is such an epidemic, then all states should have approved grounds to race on, it's as simple as that. ;)

People will always race on the street. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think it's best not to have a strict set of rules to live by.
Use your best judgement, on the street and everywhere else; know the risks; don't expect sympathy or be surprised if you get a ticket/kill someone.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
SOUTHPAW said:
I race on the street. I do so only after 10 PM, and usually only on the highway. At this time, and in this place, there are usually 1-2 cars per mile if that. I wait until there are no cars in sight before starting the race. :cool:

You can look at this anyway you want. I know it is still wrong and illegal and unsafe, but I also know that it is the safest possible way to race on the street.

I expected better of you southpaw... What would happen if there were debris on the highway, it is very hard to avoid stuff like when you are racing at fast speeds. Please tell me that you were joking, I would hate to hear about a fellow Clubwrx'er taking a fall.

Take care,

alex g.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts