ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well, ever since I got my WRX I really got into the whole motorsports community. Nothing makes me happier then watching WRC or F1 on TV, or going to a track day to stomp on some European cars :tongue:

Anyways, my plans for college were to major in Computer Science (I've been working with computers since I was a little kid) and get a degree in it. Would Engineering be more fitting to be involved in the motorsports industry?

Also, I started learning to play with my UTEC a while ago. I could do basic stuff...for ex: I had a problem with knock a while ago, so I learned how to pull out a little bit of timing, etc. I've learned little things, but I really want to learn more about how to work on engines and REALLY tune on a dyno. I read threads here and NASIOC for hours every day when I'm off work.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is, what should I be concentrating in college in order to succeed in the motorsports industry? Also, tuners that do like fuel mapping and such do make more money then actual hands-on mechanics?

Heh, I'm sorry this all sounds so unorganized. I'm just really nervous right now because I am starting college in about a month, and I feel like I don't know what I want to do anymore. Thanks to everyone for help.

·
Registered
647 Posts
yo do i know exactly what u mean. I have been builing computers since i was in like 5 th grade (now goin to be a senior in hs) and i started to lvoe cars last summer and now not sure what i want to do. Funny how u have your life planned out then it changes soo fast. I want to do some international business with a minor in something computers, thats the ****. my friends dad does stuff like that and there just filthy rich... i want to be like him when i grow up hahaha ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
XtianLA said:
Anyways, my plans for college were to major in Computer Science (I've been working with computers since I was a little kid) and get a degree in it. Would Engineering be more fitting to be involved in the motorsports industry?
I just got a degree in Computer Engineering and I would LOVE some sort of career in motorsports, or any job for that matter.

·
Registered
224 Posts
How about completing your Computer Science Degree and working on he racing stuff on the side until you're done with school? I know waiting sucks, but atleast you'll have something pretty good to fall back on if the racing/car/tuning stuff doesn't work out.

Sorry to sound like your dad. :D I just figured someone should give an old-guy-common sense response.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
You can always go to achool an undecided major and take classes in both fields and see how they work out for you. I changed my major 5 times (though 4 if you count that my first school didnt actually CHANGE my major) and schools once, and STILL got thru in 4 years, so change is possible, and as i see it, always good. if you havent decided on a school yet maybe look for one that has a comp sci dpt, and engineering dpt, and something to do with automechanics. you can always major in engineering/comp sci and minor in auto mechanics. minors are a great thing too.

you can also get involved in the racing team, if your school has one. And you can always start something, like a car enthusiast club, by talking to the student activities people and finding out what you need to start a club and posting flyers in the dorms and stuff.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Re: Re: Racing and my future in school...need advice.

champ said:
I just got a degree in Computer Engineering and I would LOVE some sort of career in motorsports, or any job for that matter.
how did that go? im going to college in jan 2005 for computer engineering

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, I guess you guys are right. I'll stick to a computer major and maybe take some shop classes and whatever else they offer on the side. I'll mostly try to start a car club at school too, that would be awesome.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm studying aerospace engineering right now and am hoping to get a job with some auto maker when I graduate. I would love to sit and design new cars' aerodynamics and stuff. My parents were joking about me getting a job on some sort of racing team when I graduate (Ferrari F1??), but that is all just wishful thinking.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Racing and my future in school...need advice.

WRXout said:
how did that go? im going to college in jan 2005 for computer engineering
It was pretty tough, I thought about switching to Computer Science a couple times. All my friends in Computer Engineering did. I had to take an extra year to get my degree because the Electrical Engineering courses killed me. I recommend Computer Science if you have no interest in the Electrical Engineering and math.

What schools are you thinking about?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My advice: Do something that interest you in school. As long as u are doing this you'll be able to somewhat enjoy yourself. If you are majoring in something that doesnt interest you school will be a living hell

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Mechanical Engineering and participate in clubs such as ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) and SAE (Uh..I forget what it stands for, but at my school (and others) they build a racecar from the ground up and compete with other schools). Talk to your counsler at your school.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Rancid said:
Mechanical Engineering and participate in clubs such as ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) and SAE (Uh..I forget what it stands for, but at my school (and others) they build a racecar from the ground up and compete with other schools). Talk to your counsler at your school.
Rancid beat me to it. ME's tend to design the engines, trannys, chasis, and suspension. AE's work with the exterior design elements. Electrical Engineers or some sort of Comp Sci will design the electronic and computer elements of the car.

If there is a way for you to get in contact with a race team and inquire about an education path as well...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yep, at my college there are a bunch of little race teams that the engineers can join. There is a solar race car, an offroad dune buggy, boats, and I'm sure some other wacky stuff.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was in about the same situation as you 4 years ago when i started college and my advice is start out as an engineering major, this is what I did and now that i have graduated it was the best decision i could have made. Why start out as an engineer, well because engineering majors take more credits than anybody else, you have to get the basics done early so you can decide if you want to stay with it for the four years. If you start out as some other major and end up wanting to switch to engineering it is an extreme up hill battle to get in the game. So start out as an engineer and then if you don't like it after the first, switch because you will be ahead of the game based on the fact that you started as an engineer and took alot more credits. I started school as an engineer and after i finished my sophmore year i switched majors to Computer Information Systems (business degree) because engineering became to difficult for me to manage my life, i couldn't balance everything, but i am now graduated and working at UPS in the engineering department. So my advice from what I have learned is start as an engineer if ya don't like it switch, you will get a great engineering base under your belt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts