Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hangen out before class the other day this kid comes up to me and asks if i want to race this SS Camaro thats always prowlin around, he asked me if i was sure, sayin how it had the LS1 350 like he was tryin to scare me, so i laughed.

Well i follow him out to this counrty road with all his buddies following behind me. We line up and the kid that asked me to race flags it. I got like the perfect launch and pulled hard, kept on pulling all the way till i shifted into third, must have had him by like 4 or 5 cars at about 65. He starts pullin really slow all through third gear and fourth. We shut down at about 100 and is back bumper was lined with my front. he wanted to go again but some cars came up the road so i just went to class

Perrin downpipe commin in a few days to finish my turbo back....maybe then ill find him for a little remach.....:p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow - nice race! By the way, if that was really an LS1, you should tell him that his motor is not a 350, but a 346!:D
I'm not sure what your mods are, but stock-for-stock, an LS1 traps quite a bit higher and usually low-to-mid-13's for ET's. He'd have to really screw his launch to take till 110 to be ahead if you're stock or near stock. But, hey - that's street racing...never know what you're going to get.
Either way, good kill!:) I used to own an LS1 and completely love and respect those cars. Just as with any car, an owner's ego can really get in the way when it comes to facing the turbo AWD Suby & not really knowing what they're potentially up against.

Cheers,

Scrat

·
Registered
19 Posts
King Domestic has returned! LOL just kiddin' guys, anyways. I agree on that BS call. If it was indeed a new 4th Gen. SS that ghuy should have burnt you from the launch. Who the hell said mid 13s? SS's can pull 12s out the box. But like I said, ANYTHING can happen, the joys of street racing... Now take the rematch to the track fellas. Nice death. (4-5 car lengths and from 3rd to 4th, he "slowly" pulled to your bumper and you shut down at 100?) I just reread that... :confused: You wont trap 100 when he traps 100, and no way in hell you pulled a 4-5 car length on him and he caght up and got to your bumper byt 100... by 3rd gear/4th he is hitting 90ish your at about 70-80 I am guessing? 5th gear he is maxing 100+ your hitting what? High 90s? VERY low 100s? By 4th gear he should have had you by at least 3/4 car lengths. If your top end is that bad that he pulled that much on you UNDER 100MPH IN 3/4th gear? :eek: Oh well...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
C9A1L1L said:
King Domestic has returned! LOL just kiddin' guys, anyways. I agree on that BS call. If it was indeed a new 4th Gen. SS that ghuy should have burnt you from the launch. Who the hell said mid 13s? SS's can pull 12s out the box. But like I said, ANYTHING can happen, the joys of street racing... Now take the rematch to the track fellas. Nice death. (4-5 car lengths and from 3rd to 4th, he "slowly" pulled to your bumper and you shut down at 100?) I just reread that... :confused: You wont trap 100 when he traps 100, and no way in hell you pulled a 4-5 car length on him and he caght up and got to your bumper byt 100... by 3rd gear/4th he is hitting 90ish your at about 70-80 I am guessing? 5th gear he is maxing 100+ your hitting what? High 90s? VERY low 100s? By 4th gear he should have had you by at least 3/4 car lengths. If your top end is that bad that he pulled that much on you UNDER 100MPH IN 3/4th gear? :eek: Oh well...
you better be postin at raccoonracing.com if you're living in Sac! We got all the fast Sac regulars on there!

·
Registered
392 Posts
12's stock??? i don't know about that, maybe with slicks or a PERFECT launch you can hit high 12's stock. At the track, i raced a couple of new gen Camaro SS', not sure what their mods were but they for sure had exhaust. They both posted low 13's all night. In fact, i had them up until an 1/8th of a mile then they started pulling. Oh and I have an Automatic with tons of lag from my VF22. Don't get me wrong, the SS is a nice car, my parents have an '02 SS and its a monster!! but high 12's stock is very unlikely

·
Registered
10 Posts
C9A1L1L said:
Who the hell said mid 13s? SS's can pull 12s out the box.
:rolleyes:

Uhmm...that was me. As in, somebody WHO USED TO OWN AN LS1!!! There were very, very few that could hit 12's 100% bone stock (factory tires and all). So, I think my statement that *most* bone stock LS1's clocked low-to-mid-13's is pretty damn correct.
Now, if you throw some slicks on it and launch it like you don't care if you break something, you might hit 12's on an otherwise stock *average* LS1. There are some factory freaks out there, but very few that could hit the magic 12's straight from the showroom floor.

Good grief....

Cheers,

Scrat

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
MOST Ls1s I see at the track, if driven by proficient drivers, hit low, low 13s stock...I have seen TONS of 12.9s and even a [email protected] BONE stock.

Point of the story. Most ls1s are CAPABLE of 12s stock. Do most hit that, no, but most arent piloted by totally perfect drivers. Still, LS1s are 12 sec cars off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nasdaq.com member EricL ran a 12.9 with just an intake and exhuast on street tires in his Ls1 camaro.. Of course he trapped at 110mph!

I tried racing an Camaro SS from a second gear roll once that had intake and exhuast, and that was a big mistake! haha..

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm sorry but tell that guy to use his mod money on some driving lessons. Unless you are Running a lot of mods, you are never going to keep a SS away like that.

·
Registered
725 Posts
So it is BS because he said he lost by a car? I realise his typing and english skills are not the greatest, but he didn't claim he won he claimed it was a close race up to 100. No really to really be in fouth though, maybe just a little. Just means that the guy in the Camero didn't know how to launch his car.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I hate to be the one to point it out, but anything is possible. A Geo Metro only able to use 1st gear could beat a Lambo if conditions are right or drivers bad enough. When I haven't seen something firsthand, I don't call BS since typing is not able to relate everything.

Why do you people care so much anyways? You have no personal stake in the loss or win of an LS1. Hell, the reason I haven't posted my last 3 C5 kills were because of people who weren't there and don't know a thing about the situation who will call BS anyways.

RN

·
Registered
404 Posts
I go to the track almost every weekend and 100% of the stock LS1's I see don't run 12s. Not one.
Yes I know some do, but it is a fact that most don't.

I've said it over and over. You can go to LS1.COM and go through sig after sig and find dozens and dozens of LS1s that only run mid 13s. For every LS1 running 12s stock there is 100 of them that can't.
All the LS1 guys know it.

Just like an STi. It is very possible to run 12s in a stock STi. But the fact is most don't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to call BS on this. I eat up WRX's all the time, and the last SS I ran walked me. So I find it very hard to believe the you pulled on an SS like that. I don't care how good your launch was, The SS's HP/TQ would have caught you rather quickly. Sorry, not hating just not believing.

·
Registered
648 Posts
QWK///M3 said:
Sorry, not hating just not believing.
The thumb's down icon used in the reply subject bit says it all.

People these days...so quick to hate.

RN

·
Registered
38 Posts
The story sounds right to me. It just seems like the guy in the ss got a bad launch and just pulled slowly walked past him at the end. He could have been going 10mph or so quicker then him by then which would sound about right. He did have 5 cars to regain and he would have had to gathered up some speed by then.
Just my thoughts on what happened.

·
Registered
278 Posts
QWK///M3 said:
I have to call BS on this. I eat up WRX's all the time, and the last SS I ran walked me. So I find it very hard to believe the you pulled on an SS like that. I don't care how good your launch was, The SS's HP/TQ would have caught you rather quickly. Sorry, not hating just not believing.
E46 or E36 M3?

Big difference bud...

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's actually an E36, but it doesn't much matter when it comes to the WRX's. I have not run into one as of yet that I have not been able to walk all over. That inludes two STI's from a dig and a roll on.

·
Registered
278 Posts
QWK///M3 said:
It's actually an E36, but it doesn't much matter when it comes to the WRX's. I have not run into one as of yet that I have not been able to walk all over. That inludes two STI's from a dig and a roll on.
Well, I hope you are heavily modified...an STI would walk an E36 M3 hard...from a dig or from a roll.

My best friend has an E36 M3 w/ intake and exhaust so I have quite a bit of experience behind the wheel. Its certainly a driver's race vs. a stock WRX - the WRX might have the advantage from a dig, from a roll the E36 M3 should walk it though.

If you are taking STI's out, I certainly hope you are extensively modified though.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts