Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I picked up my car from RalliSpec on Wednesday, but the car had been finished since Monday afternoon (had classes). Total turnaround time was 5 days, including the weekend, so that's pretty good I thought.

All in, including STi Trans mounts and new trans fluid, the work cost $2250, less than the price of just the Kaaz gears themselves.

I drove the car home relatively slowly to make sure everything was OK, and when I didn't hear any bad noises, I decdied to see how the ratios felt today.

First gear is noticably longer than stock, and for the first time I feel that it is a usable gear! It's almost un-noticable in terms of getting the car rolling, but at 3K in first, I'm now where I used to be at 5K. For traffic, this is incredibly convenient, and when you get on it, it makes a massive difference. Running first out to redline is perfectly fine now, and it feels almost identical to the way 2nd gear used to.

2nd and 3rd are way shorter, but they both pull really hard and I never find that I am out of power-band. It feels like the equivalent of picking up a few hundred RPM of spool. In fact, w/the VF22, the characteristics of the car feel much more similar to it did with stock turbo. I don't find myself getting caught in dead spots now.

4th gear is no longer over-drive w/the RA gears, but it's still not a real power gear. Nevertheless, it is more usable than before.

5th is well.... still 5th haha!

Overall, I'm very happy with these gears. I believe for my application, they are going to last perfectly well and prove to be a great gearset for the price.

Assuming these things hold up, I would highly reccomend them to anyone around 300WHP.

-Michael

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
damn... any idea how they handle at a launch of ... lets say 4k-4.5k maybe?

its things like this that make deciding on things very difficult :p

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Eli :)

Evil: The gears should hande a launch no problem, they're stronger than stock, so 4-5K slip isn't gonna bust them. I don't drag race as much as I used to, but I'm going to the track next weekend nonetheless to see how the RA's do there :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Schaf100 said:
First gear is noticably longer than stock, and for the first time I feel that it is a usable gear!
I find that the 1st gear is VERY useable for racing. The only thing I don't like about the RA gears, is that first is longer. 1st is already pretty long. This is going to hurt launches.

I too am considering the RA gears. I would just be so pissed if they broke. I only plan on replacing the gears once.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
is 5th gear stock ratio? how is cruising? on the highway?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Re: Re: RA Gears in, initial impressions

TypeC said:
I find that the 1st gear is VERY useable for racing. The only thing I don't like about the RA gears, is that first is longer. 1st is already pretty long. This is going to hurt launches.

I too am considering the RA gears. I would just be so pissed if they broke. I only plan on replacing the gears once.
hurt launches huh.... how bad do you estimate them to be hurt?

also... how much power can these gears hold up to?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Re: Re: RA Gears in, initial impressions

TypeC said:

1st is too long? First gear is utterly USELESS for me!! I rip through it faster than I can deal with sometimes! I would welcome a longer first!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Re: Re: Re: RA Gears in, initial impressions

MidKnight said:
1st is too long? First gear is utterly USELESS for me!! I rip through it faster than I can deal with sometimes! I would welcome a longer first!
No, make no mistake, my first gear is over before it starts when I launch. I am saying that I would not want to make it longer. It does exactly what I want it to (hold long enough for the tires to stop spinning and get some inertia). I guess when you compare it to other cars (I am comparing it to my friend's DSM's who have a shorter 1st), it isn't 'short.' Using the word 'long' an exaggeration

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: RA Gears in, initial impressions

TypeC said:
No, make no mistake, my first gear is over before it starts when I launch. I am saying that I would not want to make it longer. It does exactly what I want it to (hold long enough for the tires to stop spinning and get some inertia). I guess when you compare it to other cars (I am comparing it to my friend's DSM's who have a shorter 1st), it isn't 'short.' Using the word 'long' an exaggeration
You know this is basicaly a racing gearset. Just like the car is not realy made for drag racing. When you use something that it was not originaly designed for, issues will pop up. The ratio's were not picked with launching in mind. I am not in anyway against people using the WRX to drag with, you just have to remember that the WRX was not created for that. Even if it can be used that way. A taller first is great for Auto-Xing and rally-X.

·
Registered
115 Posts
what is the max mph you can downshift in to first with this gear set? the oem gears it seams I almost have to compleatly stop to get it in to first.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
jetguy said:
what is the max mph you can downshift in to first with this gear set? the oem gears it seams I almost have to compleatly stop to get it in to first.
I can't imagine it would change much since I would think that was more of a syncro issue than a gear issue. I don't really have aproblem downshifting to first while moving as long as I rev match and double-clutch that shift...

·
Registered
432 Posts
MidKnight said:
I can't imagine it would change much since I would think that was more of a syncro issue than a gear issue. I don't really have aproblem downshifting to first while moving as long as I rev match and double-clutch that shift...
The reason why it will change is because of the difference in ratios between first and second. The syncros dont have to do as much work since 1st will be much closer to 2nd (longer 1st and shorter 2nd).

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I can get into 1st from 2nd at up to 20mph, and probly higher. But because they are so apart It's pretty pointless because 2nd is almost suitable for 5mph

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RA Gears in, initial impressions

stratos said:
You know this is basicaly a racing gearset. Just like the car is not realy made for drag racing. When you use something that it was not originaly designed for, issues will pop up. The ratio's were not picked with launching in mind. I am not in anyway against people using the WRX to drag with, you just have to remember that the WRX was not created for that. Even if it can be used that way. A taller first is great for Auto-Xing and rally-X.

right right... but what sets should i go with if i wanted both drag and auto-X...

i too think first gear stock isn't long enough...

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: RA Gears in, initial impressions

TypeC said:
Note for everyone: TypeC is talking about 'racing' from a drag racing perspective...where you only shift up and the launch is the key point.

For many of the rest of us, spirited drivers, rallyers(+ the wannabes), etc....first gear is too short for the switchback type hairpins and second doesn't have enough to drive out with....hence the RA's taller first makes perfect sense(and leads to an effective slower/softer launch...but that isn't important)

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Schaf100- I'm assuming you left the final drive as is? Also what was the breakdown of labor/parts costs? Did you have extra costs involved due to damage already sustained?

I'm also looking at this gear set (hopefully down the road a bit- knock on wood), but am seriously considering the 4.444 final drive as it was originally designed. Cruising on the interstate @ 80mph will be a little more "interesting", but the power band should be close to perfect for autox/rallyx and the tighter road courses.

Big Sky

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I stuck w/the stock 3.90 final drive and I'm pretty happy about that. At 80mph on the highway, I'm now at 4000RPM, which is def different, but really not that bad.

I now have about 1000 miles on the gears and wow they're awesome. I didn't realize how much different they were until I really started driving harder. The car now sounds like a motorcycle running through the gears with the short 2 and 3. It just wails up to 100MPH. I'm still surprised when the car doesn't fall out of powerband between shifts. This difference is extremely noticable w.the VF22 which would always drop just out of spool between shifts. That is completely remedied now!

I'll keep you guys updated as I use thing things more. Still haven't launched so no comment on that yet.

-Michael

1 - 20 of 70 Posts