Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's cool. If that's what I think it is (a HPI Micro RS4 with the AE86 Truneo body - I have one with the Skyline body) then probably what he did was remove the 4WD belt so it's direct RWD... That things got a lot of power even for a 4WD, but power drifting would be a piece of cake if you just took off the belt.

It's easy to drift R/Cs because they have lots of power and it can be easily controlled... Just punch the throttle and oversteer the corner... kinda like real drifting :D

Vostok 7

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
me and my friends are considering getting r/c cars. probably will start with the HPI Micro RS4 Electric kit or RTR. trying to find a good place to get these.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I got mine from Tower Hobbies.

Mine's the RTR since I was lazy :D

Sure is alot of fun. I want to get the Truneo body someday... it's so cool looking!

Vostok 7

·
Registered
641 Posts
I got 3 of'em at home

Kyosho TF-3 chassis

and

Tamiya TA03 chassis

the new Tamiya TA04 chassis is simply amazing! Their TB-01 is also a great chassis...you might want to take a look at their TB-01 chassis.

HPI RS4 chassis are bullet proof and should last a long time. The Minis are cool...but for pure racing joy..go with a 1/10 scale chassis.

-LostLamb

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
since i'm new to the r/c thing i think i'll start with electric and then move up to nitro 1/10. so where do you guys race these things? can they run on any street without any problems or do i have to run it on say like a basement or basketball court?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a HPI RS4 MT(stadium truck). Drifting is easy, just goose the throttle and tap the steering.

Its a fun...but expensive past-time. I bet I have 1200 bucks wrapped up in just the truck, not counting controllers and other stuff.

I strapped my GPS to it one day, and clocked it at 43 mph. Only problem is that its SO dang fast, any screw up is expensive. It'll sit and burn the tires, looks cool too. 14 turn motor, 2100mha batt packs and a super-rooster speed control(with traction control, I turn that off tho). I need to get back into that, its tons of fun tuning em and breakin em.

I tried helicopters...but I suck at flying(read I wrecked it every damn time I tried to fly it).

·
Registered
641 Posts
***biGRed*** said:
since i'm new to the r/c thing i think i'll start with electric and then move up to nitro 1/10. so where do you guys race these things? can they run on any street without any problems or do i have to run it on say like a basement or basketball court?
You might want to start out with 1/10 electric...the electric minis are way fast. Then move on to 1/10 nitro, beware...nitro is really fast!!

I usually run my cars in an empty parking lot at like 1am or 2am, but lately I've been running a figure 8 on our company lot. Much fun.

Where do you live BigRed? You should check your local hobby shops for race tracks...

If you are in CA, SoCal is the best place for the sport! Lots of tracks!! Tamiya has a track in SoCal and HPI has one too...AWESOME!

-LostLamb

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i live in chicago so i guess i can't run it outside until spring. i was noticing how low these cars are so i was wondering if these would be able to run on sidewalks, parking lots, etc....... i was thinking on road/off road like this wrx but not sure these can go through grass.

·
Registered
641 Posts
***biGRed*** said:
well i live in chicago so i guess i can't run it outside until spring. i was noticing how low these cars are so i was wondering if these would be able to run on sidewalks, parking lots, etc....... i was thinking on road/off road like this wrx but not sure these can go through grass.
The pic you posted is an HPI Rally car, and that was designed for offroad/onroad driving. With nitros and electric buggies, you can run them in the snow. :D

The cars I have are too big for sidewalks, but good enough for parking lots, tennis courts, bball courts....

Get a rally nitro or electric and have a blast all year round :D

-LostLamb

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i'm thinking an electric, rally RS4 would be good. i think its 1/10th scale? too bad they don't come RTR. starting price for kit is like $250 not including controller and other accessories.:mad:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Building them is the best part!! .....at least for me.

I have an HPI RS4. First timers should go electric.....they still will be plenty fast....just make sure you mod it right.
Friend of mine got an R/C car and the first thing he bought was a 9-turn drag motor!!!.....it blew his transmission to dust!!!!

Gas cars on the other hand are messy, require ALOT of maintance, and sometimes wont start at all. Took me a couple months to get a feel of how to tune the engine properly with the needle valve. Too rich.....makes gargling sound and spits raw fuel out the exhaust. Too lean.....will overheat and melt any plastic you have near it.

Looove the sound they make though....they sound like a mini-dirt bike. Its awesome when you gun it and watch them take off with a trail of light-white smoke following them.:D

·
Registered
641 Posts
Build it yourself! You'll learn how cars work, and you definately will appreciate the car more.

I love tuning my car and then taking it out to drive.
HPI RS4 is 1/10 scale car.

Nitro wheel spins are :cool:

-LostLamb

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Hey- Vostok 7- I didn't realize you were on this board - how goes the guage swap? Mine is on the way and in my town according to the tracking number! PS- did you get my PM from last week on NASIOC?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yep, still haven't got the stuff yet.

It's on it's way though (it was backordered!).

And yeah, I got your PM... I'll read it again, I was busy :D

Vostok 7

1 - 16 of 16 Posts