Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. While I am totally happy with my 03 WRX, I am just curious if there are any mods that don't incure a noise penalty. I like the fact that the car is fairly quiet now and don't want much if any additional noise. It is bone stock right now, with the exception of a K&N filter. Thanks

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
wrxkfalls said:
Hi all. While I am totally happy with my 03 WRX, I am just curious if there are any mods that don't incure a noise penalty. I like the fact that the car is fairly quiet now and don't want much if any additional noise. It is bone stock right now, with the exception of a K&N filter. Thanks
There are many mods you can perform to make your car perform better, and still make it quiet. You can install a catless uppipe. All that will do is allow the turbo to spool up quicker and better perform. You can also install a stealth back exhaust(catlessdownpipe, high flow cat, and midpipe) to the stock muffler, and it will still be as quiet as stock. Also a Manual Boost controller and boost gauge. This wil do nothing to the sound, but will make the turbo spool up even quicker and perform like a new car should.

But you won't feel the maximum power efficiency until you take off that restrictive stock muffler. But then again, your car won't be as quite as YOU want it.

There are mods you DON'T want to do if you want to keep it quiet.
Leave the intake silencer on.
Don't buy a blow off valve.
Don't buy a aftermarket muffler.

Hope this helps. I used to like the quiet of my car as well. But I want as much performance as I can get. So I can live with a little noise. To each as own.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I am only about 2000 miles into my WRX ownership and warranty. It seems like there are very few people who are concerned about the noise factor, but I am willing to sacrifice some power for a quiet ride.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just dynamat the entire car, then start modding. Dynamatting kills about 80% of the street noise on a stock car, so I am guessing that if you dynamatted the car, you would barely hear mods such as an exhaust. It would also be a plus if you are into stereo sound quality.

·
Registered
949 Posts
how about pulleys, or boring the throttle body/intake manifold? increasing displacement, adding ECU chip, fuel management, larger injectors... stuff like that. I don't see how any of those would make more noise. Good luck, and happy modding!

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
u can still get an aftermarket catback exhaust. many are quiet. do a search for that. other than that ur possiblities are endless. and dynomat would add like 100lbs if u did the whole car hah

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently installed a MRT turboback exhaust with the single 3" tip because of reports that it was the quietest available and after driving in another persons car with one installed. I can honestly tell you that it is as quiet as stock, and possibly quieter. The price is a bit high but the fit and finish are excellent and the performance gains are noticeable.

Blair

·
Registered
196 Posts
A lot of of us are checking out Vishnu and their new Ecutec factory chip reflash.

No noise increase or emissions problems and allegedly 30 more bad ass flywheel HP for $750.

If above turns out to be truth - Mega bang for the buck!:cool:

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Geekqualizer said:
A lot of of us are checking out Vishnu and their new Ecutec factory chip reflash.

No noise increase or emissions problems and allegedly 30 more bad ass flywheel HP for $750.

If above turns out to be truth - Mega bang for the buck!:cool:
not to go OT here but u live on the cape huh. My parents stay in brewster for the summer. I'll have to take a trip up there and check out ur car this summer if ur around

·
Registered
196 Posts
Speed Racer:

If you come to the Cape, look for a white Rex sedan with blue vinyl 3 inch WRX emblems on the front fenders. It's pretty easy to spot.

Regards:
The Geekqualizer:cool:

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Geekqualizer said:
Speed Racer:

If you come to the Cape, look for a white Rex sedan with blue vinyl 3 inch WRX emblems on the front fenders. It's pretty easy to spot.

Regards:
The Geekqualizer:cool:
once the season opens up and they go down i'll prob bring my friends and gf down and we can have a big ol party haha..i'll contact some eastern mass wrx guys also it would be a mini huge party

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
nyxjf said:
how much does it cost to dynamat your car?
HOw does it work?
Can I do it myself?
dynomat can be found at any car audio store or prob any place that has car audio in it like a best buy or circuit city. the cost i'm not sure and yes u can do it urself

1 - 16 of 16 Posts