Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I liked to put a performance exhaust on my 2002 WRX Wagon but the problem is, I'm an old geezer and I don't like noise. However, I'm not that old cuz I still like speed.

What is a good high performance exhaust that produces power but not noise? Do you have to be loud to get any power from an exhaust?

Thanks,

·
Registered
249 Posts
Assuming you mean a turbo-back system:

I have the TurboXS Turbo-Back and it's really not very loud, even without cats, plus it's one of the best systems on the market right now. If you get the turboback and keep the stock muffler section, we're talking only slightly louder than stock, or if you go with the TXS muffler a nice yet subtle increase.

Other ppl say the prodrive muffler works very well while remaining quiet and this could bolt up to the TXS stealth-back unit as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm not an old geezer but I do appreciate the upscale class of a really fast car that sounds like it's from the factory.

Get the Turbo XS stealthback, it's only about $700. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH, NOTHING ELSE WILL SOUND THIS QUIET. This keeps the car at stock volume with the note being a little more growly as the revs increase. It's so quiet, most people who want the stock sound but a little more noise usually get a louder muffler. BTW, if you don't like the sound of the stock muffler on the exhaust (or should I say lack of sound), you can always bolt any other axelback muffler section right up to the exhaust. P.S., the Prodrive is excellent with this setup - low noise (louder than the stock muf) with a bassy idle and a great mechanical growl in the higher revs. Also, the tip looks Mercedes/Volvo-like good. This is the way to go in exhuasts for the WRX today.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i recently finished my exhaust and i have to say GREDDY EVO all the way. i also added the HKS downpipe to the cat back and holy lord there was a big difference. i dont know if it was all the downpipe doing the extra breathing or the bigger turbo but it does kick ass.

·
Registered
679 Posts
GPatrick said:
2nd the EVO.

TypeC, your car will be here?
No, rental :(
Check PMs.

I looked at the TXS and Cobb, but IMO the can looks lke ass. The EVO looks good and sounds even better. VERY quiet and deep. It has two HUGE resonators ans 3.14" (80mm) piping. Can't beat that. There are pics and post on nasioc under "TypeC."

But then again, I haven't seen anyone else at any of the state meets with the same exhaust, so go ahead and get another brand. I like being unique. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I gotta say, the TXS can really doesn't look bad. I was worried bout that, but now that I have it, I'm loving the super-subtle look. If you didn't know what a WRX was it wouldn't be hard to think it was stock. This is the complete polar opposite of the EVO which is very large (but looks cool, gotta admit). I wanted subtle so TXS worked for me, if you want something that looks good Blitz, Greddy, HKS all do!

·
Super Moderator
1,991 Posts
Prodrive for axle-back!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fatdog,
You remind me of an old guy who stopped by my friend's shop, Applied Force, yesterday. He also seeks performance but without the noise, which is kind of hard, because he wants the car to look and sound stock. Anyway, I will have to vote for the Greddy EVO, which I have on my car, subtle noise level, very soothing. Good luck.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My friend has the greddy on his MX-6 and it's just right. quiet but nice at higher revs. For my car i'm going to go with turbo x's up and down pipes and custom piping to my stock muffler...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I removed the cats in the uppipe and midpipe and kept the stock downpipe, resonator and muffler. My car sounds stock. The stock muffler and resonator seem to do a very good job at keeping the exhaust quiet. Removing two cat's didn't noticeably make the car louder. My guess is that if I took of the last cat, the car wouldn't get noticeably louder.

·
1,263 Posts
I did 2500 miles with my Mum in the car and my TXS Turbo back system and she did not have any problems with it at all. It sounds great but not droney or too loud.

Andrew

·
Registered
94 Posts
One person's quiet is another's loud

This week I got a MRT Turboback exhaust installed. It's been described in a number of posts as quiet relative to other exhausts. To me, it's got plenty of roar - front and back of the car. So, one person's quiet is another person's loud. If you can, check out a WRX with the exhaust you're looking for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts