Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, This may be a stupid question but im sorry...I don't know too much about WRX seeing that I USED to be a big Honda fan. Anyways, if you have the Unichip, Do you need the Blitz SBC boost controller or Power-ID? Or any other MBC or EBC? My impression of the Unichip is that it already does that stuff for you? Am I correct or WAAAAY off the track?
Another question, If you have a turbo back? Does that mean it comes with the downpipe? Or would you need to purchase one separately...Im confused about the differences between a Cat-back and Turbo-Back...Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
316 Posts
From what I understand, unichip sets the boost level at certain point depending on mods on the car. So you won't be able to adjust it to where you want it to be. Although, I've seen some people running electronic boost controller with the unichip.

Turbo-back exhaust literally means the system starts from turbo all the way to the back. That includes the downpipe.

·
Registered
554 Posts
From what I understand it is setup in the mapping making it static. So it makes it like the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie Oven & BBQ, you just set it, and forget it. If you wanted to change it, it would have to be remapped, which would be a pain.

But if you want easy adjustablity you will still need MBC/EBC.

Just wait a little bit and someone that knows will answer too.

Justin

*Edited because I can't spell.

·
1,911 Posts
Turbo Back = cat back+downpipe
As for the Unichip it does control boost but you can only set it up one way. If you want to change the boost setting you still need a seperate boost controller. I use the SBC-id myself. I'm not a big fan of the manual controllers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For a mild (or moderate) set up the Unichip will be better than an external boost contoller because it follows the same plot as the factory boost curves, but raises the pressure to a more enjoyable level. This means that the boost comes in somewhat gradually, and cuts back at high rpm resulting is less wear on the turbo.

The drawback is that you have no adjustability, but the stock turbo has its limits so that might keep some people out of trouble. (hummmmmm, I wonder what happens when I feed it 20 psi... *BOOM*)

·
1,911 Posts
Actually that is only partially true. It coes on like any boost controller. It does bleed off at the top end but that is a physical function of the turbo not being able to keep up, not of the actual mapping on the Unichip. Even with SBC-id you start losing boost at high RPM regardless of how you set it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts