ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
UURX02 said:
I heard that they have had this 250 horsepower engine in japan a few years before we got it? Is this true, anyone know?
If you are talking about the '05 Legacy GT and GT Limited, then yes the engine has been around for a little while, mainly in the WRX STi. The 2.5L Turbo engine is basically the same as the WRX STi - just detuned down to 250 hp.

- Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
reversing the detuning

I'm looking at the Legacy GT 2.5 --- I've seen various posts that it's been detuned down to 250 hp. How would one retune it back up to 300 hp?

I also have a 'wheels' question. What kind of wheels can go on the GT 2.5? It comes with 17", but I'm sure you can fit 18" on there right? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: reversing the detuning

vancouverguy said:
I'm looking at the Legacy GT 2.5 --- I've seen various posts that it's been detuned down to 250 hp. How would one retune it back up to 300 hp?

I also have a 'wheels' question. What kind of wheels can go on the GT 2.5? It comes with 17", but I'm sure you can fit 18" on there right? Any suggestions?
I've already seen people swap to 18" on the Legacy Owners Association

They say the weakest part of the car is the tires, other than that - the car is powerful, extremely smooth, luxurious, quiet, and very comfortable. The car comes with ZR all season tires, which seem to work well in the rain, I've driven one during a spirited test drive on a empty highway for 30 minutes in the pouring rain - the car is so smooth and quiet that you think your doing 50 mph when actually your hitting speeds way way above that.

- Mike

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
One of the main differences between the two engines (Legacy GT and STI) is that the STI uses a bigger turbo (VF 39). You can easily squeeze more power out of the Legacy GT by getting rid of some of cats, and reflashing the ECU when it becomes availible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts