Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Subaru wrx limited hatchback, I’ve fully built the bottom end of my motor with oversized pistons rods, etc..running with e85, stage 2 hd racing clutch. Lightened pulley, good studs and bolts, most bolt one done. Wondering if I’m going to need to upgrade transfer case or build the transmission.. should be looking to make any were from 350 to 450hp so let me know what you guys think.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Not much out there to build the transmission really. I've seen some folks get ppg gears, but I've also come across numerous posts of people detonating them.

The 11+ transmission isn't as glass as the older ones. As long as you are not banging gears and driving sanely you won't have any issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about if I’m trying to track it a bit, cause I’m from California and it won’t pass smog I’m looking for a guy tbh.. so I’m going to be dragging it a bit and wondering about if I get good radials and track it a few times will I have issues?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,591 Posts
The transfer case won’t fail because it doesn’t exist. The gearbox will hold except if it doesn’t and only you will know. Set some money aside and if you end up not needing it after all you can always send it to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
are you sure bro? My homie had a evo x and he messed up his transfer case multiple times. But I’m worried about the stock trans in the Subaru can it handle good enough power without breaking axles and shit on the grippy track.?

·
19,591 Posts
Whether I’m sure doesn’t matter.

If your transfer case exists, where is it?

Nobody can tell you whether your gearbox will fail, especially since it turns out Miss Cleo was an outright fraud - she wasn’t even Jamaican, she was from LA; I was shocked. However repeated launches on tarmac aren’t going to increase its longevity. Axles fail on street cars all the time though granted they do not snap, but they’re cheap. Gearboxes are not cheap so I’d worry more.

Your options are to not drag race, or drag race knowing something might break, and ultimately even ask someone more reputable like Walter Mercado about when it’ll break.

I’d not go if I wanted to avoid repairs. Or I’d put money aside. You may never have an issue but you’re increasing your chances of failure.

Come to think of it there should be 2-way and 1,5-way centre diffs available plus dog gears and even intact homologated gearboxes but you’re looking at lots of money.

·
Æternum
15,546 Posts
are you sure bro? My homie had a evo x and he fucked up his transfer case multiple times. But I’m worried about the stock trans in the Subaru can it handle good enough power without breaking axles and shit on the grippy track.?

:LOL:

I'm not sure if this needs to be pointed out or not, but here goes.... Your buddy has an Evo X. You don't. It's a different car...

No, the WRX does not have a transfer case. The front and center differentials are housed in the transmission...

Reactions: jeremy2011wrx

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Although both vehicles are all wheel drive the entire powertrain and drivetrain are laid out differently.

In the Subaru you have a more traditional rear wheel drive layout where the transmission mounts behind the engine and runs under the car where the rear driveshaft is affixed. Because the engine sits so far forward this allows the transmission to be far enough to the front the half shafts can me mounted to the transmission directly.

On the Evo it uses a traditional fwd layout where the front half shafts exit the transmission, it needs a transfer case to power the rear drive shaft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dam okay well I knew evos are different, but just curios cause I’m a little nervous tracking my car, with how sticky the tracks are. Especially gripping to hard I want some feedback letting me know what’s possible to happen to my transmission and axles etc

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
I can Sprint a quarter mile faster than a wrx or sti. They are terrible strip cars unless you have really really deep wallets

·
19,591 Posts
Dam okay well I knew evos are different, but just curios cause I’m a little nervous tracking my car, with how sticky the tracks are. Especially gripping to hard I want some feedback letting me know what’s possible to happen to my transmission and axles etc
One possible outcome is that they will fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts