Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I have been searching all night but can't find the straight forward answers i need. Hopefully you guys can help. I recently bought a used VF22. I am eventually gonna get STI injectors, fuel pump and a cobb reflash, but im wondering if I can run the VF22 without any fuel mods or engine management at about where stock boast is?? would i need a boost controller? Im still a noob so please don't be too hard on me.

·
Banned
601 Posts
You could most likely run a vf22 at upto 15psi on a stock wrx. I wouldn't know if you could do it withought a boost controller because the vf22 has a different wastegate actuator as stock(I think the restrictor makes up for it though). If you have a boost gauge, there is no harm in trying it out without a boost controller and just making sure it doesn't overboost....

peace

·
Registered
178 Posts
You should be alright. The comp controls the boost. so long as you still have a factory comp it should also compensate with more fuel. We get standard WRXs pre bugeye shape over here (JDM imports) that come standard with the VF22. They go hard! still runs the same boost as the other REXs but obviously is flowing alot more air. so you get more go!

·
Registered
7 Posts
vf 22

hEY jim, just a question on the vf22, i to have a my00 and for sometime have been contemplating a vf22 turbo upgrade.In your honest opinion is it real laggy or can you live with it on the street, my mods 3'' exhast , aps tmic, water spray, fuel pump:confused:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have 3 close friends with them on their cars. An STi Coupe, A regular WRX. (his is a bolt on extra it came with a TD05)and another that came with one standard.
There was no noticable difference from the VF23 to the VF22 on the coupe... Just more top end...
On the Regular REX it is no more laggy than the TD05 that his car came with. When driving them You can feel it just pulls right through to Redline... Whereas my VF24 starts to run out of puff.
It will definatly be laggier than your TD04! But you will enjoy the rush when it comes... I personally dont think you can beat the VF22 for price... A Vf22 can easily cope with over 20psi... I know there is a thread on here somewhere that had people doubting its efficiency, but I have seen dyno sheets for one of the cars listed above and higher boost was fine... Temps were fine too.
I wouldnt rate standard internals at much more than 15psi though... You should get a nice jump in power... It will flow ALOT more air than the TD04... Enjoy...

To answer your question tonyzx7... I dont think that it would be too much laggier than standard, but the benefits will far outweigh the couple of hundred extra revs that it will take to get to max PSi...
It will complement your mods nicely. With a nice price!

·
Registered
7 Posts
vf22 reply

Now thats what a really wanted to hear Jim , you have me sold on the vf22. I always wanted that top end pull , i had in a mazda rx2 , 13b mild port, you know that top end surge that glues you in the seat and just feels like it wants to keep pulling hard , like its never gunnu stop,well you know what i mean.:;) Ill let you know how it goes , thanks for the feedbaack Jim.:)

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
WRXJIM said:
I have 3 close friends with them on their cars. An STi Coupe, A regular WRX. (his is a bolt on extra it came with a TD05)and another that came with one standard.
There was no noticable difference from the VF23 to the VF22 on the coupe... Just more top end...
On the Regular REX it is no more laggy than the TD05 that his car came with. When driving them You can feel it just pulls right through to Redline... Whereas my VF24 starts to run out of puff.
It will definatly be laggier than your TD04! But you will enjoy the rush when it comes... I personally dont think you can beat the VF22 for price... A Vf22 can easily cope with over 20psi... I know there is a thread on here somewhere that had people doubting its efficiency, but I have seen dyno sheets for one of the cars listed above and higher boost was fine... Temps were fine too.
I wouldnt rate standard internals at much more than 15psi though... You should get a nice jump in power... It will flow ALOT more air than the TD04... Enjoy...

To answer your question tonyzx7... I dont think that it would be too much laggier than standard, but the benefits will far outweigh the couple of hundred extra revs that it will take to get to max PSi...
Excuse me for my ignorance, but do all the cars above that you described above run a EJ20? Just wondering. I will be installing my VF22 with other supporting mods to make my Stage 4 become a reality this Friday. And with the commentary above, I now like my VF22 even more.:D

·
Registered
679 Posts
WRXJIM said:

I need to clear up a few things.

For one, the VF22 (and 23/30 for that matter) are MUCH laggier than a stock 13g. It's not " a few hundred rpms" it's closer to 1000 rpms in the lower gears; This is comparing a Catless 13g USDM WRX vs the same car with a 23/22. I could get 17psi at 3400rpms in 4th gear, however in the lower gears it's really around 4Krpms with the 22 and 23. My 13g would spool before 3000K rpms.

It's fine with the stock fuel system, however it WILL start to knock around 15psi on 93 octane with stock timing maps. I use my s-afc/octane to get around that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes all EJ20 engines...

The TD04 is tiny... Yes the lag will definately be noticed... I noticed the lag between my VF24 and my old TD04) I personally dont feel that its that bad when I drive any of thes cars that I mentioned... You just have to change you driving style a little so that when you start of from a stop in a hurry, you can get some boost up... I use the slippin clutch method. The top end definately makes up for it...

Knocking at 15psi... It shouldnt... I realize that its flowing more air. But none of these cars have a problem... You may just have to keep an eye on that... The standard computer should be able to cope and retard the timing... Its what happens with them down here... we have the luxury of cooler air tho...

For Drivability beside a TD05 the 22 is MUCH better... it just feels more responsive...
Ther will always be pros and cons... I think you will like it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey jim , just giving you a little feed back on my vf22 setup.Bolted it on a couple of days ago. fisrt thing i did notice is the loss of that bottem end kick the tdo4 delivers, but that was expected , seems to pull hard all the way to 7000rpm, but mind you i havnt had the engine management upgraded yet, going to go with the ecutek 2 reflash. Running on 15lb boost ,aps tmic , 3' xorst, fuel pump upgrade, uppipe, silicon pipe ,water spray , dont know if i expekted to much , is this set up really capable of running a high 12 second pass, let me know what you think:confused:

·
Registered
178 Posts
All the cars I mentioned are in the 12's I am knocking on the door of 11's (VF24 on my car)
From what I have been reading on this site, I think the guys in the US are really limited by the weather I guess its the same over in OZ. I cant understand why there aren't more of you in the 12's. (I can only assume its the temp over there) I only have a 3" Turbo back Exhaust No cats, and a replacement foam filter...
I think once you get the tune you should find your times should drop. My friend with the Coupe has a AVCR which is set for two different tunes, one for road and one for RACE. He runs race gas and has it set at 23psi. The pull is phenominal!
Its really hard to give an estimate on times??? I would like to say to expect at LEAST .5 of a second...( I will be scratching my head if you dont) If you can run any 98 I would, I have been really suprised at how many mods the guys in the US need to do just to get into the 13's!
Look into the heavy duty wastegate spring that you can get for the VF turbos, I find I get really bad creep as the boost builds which kills spool time. I run a hose to my wastegate almost a metre long just to counteract it, it gives me a small spike but keeps the wastegate closed just long enough to kill lots of lag...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks mate for the feed back, like i said havnt upgraded engine management yet , but feel this should really bring it to life. What level of boost do you run on the street, i figure 18 should be ok with my set up after ecu upgrade.So your saying you are close to running 11\s with a vf24, how you pulling the top end out of that turbo.:confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hava vf30 on stock injectors and ECU. However, i have a boost controller set at 14.5psi, uppipe, turbo back exhaust, walbro HP fuel pump, and samco IC hoses. The car runs great with no engine knock. Just dont move the boost controller settings and you will be fine until you get injectors and ecu. Never took it to the track but my subjective feel of the pants says its faster than stock above 3200rpm. I get 1bar of boost by 3100 rpm in 5th and 3200 in 4th.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm running standard boost of 18psi, Isometimes get spike up to 19.5 ish, but only for a split second, it depends on how cold it is...
I'm not sure where the topp end is comeing from???
The last event I was at I couldnt get over 1.1bar??? Had crazy wheelspin off the line, andwas still consistanly running 12.4's...
I have an HKS EBC to install to try and control the boost, and also have some brigdstone semislick race tyres... The only worry with the slicks i that I may need to shift into 5th before the finish???
I'm also going to run race gas...
Good luck with your car. I am thinking back to my old wagon that had a TD04 on it. The top end in it was NOTHING compared to my current wagon...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I beleive that the injectors on my 00 model flow about 440cc and are capable of producing power up to 180kw at the wheels without maxing out the duty cycle, they are yellow in colour. I really have no plans of upgrading the injectors at this point, but might look into doing the fuel rail mod, do you think it will be safe at 180kw.:confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts