ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a bit of a scratch on the front of the car.. I have a few questions about how to fix this thing up. If you put your finger over it, it feels pretty bumpy so I figured it needs to be sanded down.

So how do you guys do this?
What kind of sand paper (grit paper?) do you use? (Links to buy em?) What type? (ex: 1000? or even higher?)

It's an 2011 Spark Silver Metallic. After doing a bit of googling I just wanted to confirm that the code is C3S, right?

So its just a simple sand it down till it feels smooth and than clean it up with some water and then apply the touch-up paint? (does anyone know where you can buy the paint for cheap?)

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Do not sand the finish down! If you want it done right take it to a body shop. If you want to touch it up call a dent removal company to come out and fix the area and airbrush it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel like it's to small to be taking it to a body shop. Isn't there specific grit paper something like this

or maybe this?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the picture

Sorry for it being such bad quality. I will take a better one tomorrow during the day but if you can't tell, it is right below the left fog light. Pretty close to the bottom.
In terms of size, its just a tad bit bigger than my thumb if that's also any help?

What do you think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the damage is a light scratch just in the top layer of paint (clear coat) you can water sand & polish it out. However if the scratch is deeper than the clear coat, and into/deeper than the base coat (silver) or even deeper the primer, than you've got a bit of a problem.

Take a closer look. In the case that the scratch is deep enough there's silver paint missing, touching it up with a brush will look kinda ****ty. Base coat (the silver) dries flat. A clear coat goes over it to make it shiny.

To get that repaired the right way, a body shop will actually have to paint the whole bumper. They'ed sand down the damage, spot prime the area, sand the primer smooth, blow in the colour at the location of the damage, then clear coat the whole bumper so you don't have any dry edges where the paint ends. This type of repair would probably cost around $200-$500 I would guess. most of that cost is from labour because they would probably take the bumper off. However a skilled painter (myself ;) may be able to keep the repair concentrated to a small area and blow it in with minimal dry spray for a lower cost, but its very tricky.

Its up to you with witch way you want to go with this. Its not like when someone walks up to your car they'll immediately crouch down to their knees and put there face on your little scratch. But at the end of the day... you'll know its there.

Getting it done right will give you peace of mind, and you'll feel better about the whole situation. Touching it up yourself will pretty much be like a band-aid, better than nothing.

Try to get better quality pic, I might be able to tell if you can fix it yourself with out getting into paint.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
How come I can't see the picture?

I'd just put some touch up paint on it and call it a day based on your description of how minor it is. Just do it slowly and carefully, and have some paint thinner on hand just in case you mess up the first time.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll post another picture during the day, hopefully you can see it teflon_jones.

It's probably going to end up being what you said too. I can't spend $200-$500 on such a minor scratch. It'll just ease the pain in my mind knowing that at least it looks the same color after putting on some touch up paint. :p

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are the pictures. It should be much clearer to see :(

Tell me, is it that bad guys? :(

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Honestly, no...it's not that bad at all. Personally, I would just leave it....it's not bad enough that I'd want to stress about it.

I can see how it would annoy you though, and knowing that it is there your eyes always being drawn to it lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's kinda narley, but overall pretty small. What caused it? It looks like some black paint from whatever you hit transferred to your bumper. I would try to polish it first. Use some coarse polishing compound and rub it in and around in circles with a rag or pad, or better yet an electric polisher if you have one. Follow the directions on whatever you get. Coarse compound should clean up the wound a bit, at least fix up the colour difference.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was parking and infront was one of those little concrete barriers so you don't go over to much. I accidentally rolled really slow into it.. I can't believe the damage it did :S It was SUPER slow

Would having a clear bra prevent this kind of a damage?

Thank you guys for the input. I will def see what I can do to make it look as good as possible and hopefully get some pics up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts