ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am looking to buy a downpipe but i cant decide whether to go with catted or catless. I am thinking i am going catless but can anyone give me details about the ERZ. Would it be better to get the ERZ or an Invidia or maybe something else. Also it would be helpful if someone could give me a link of a wrx with a stock exhaust and a catless dp because I want to hear how it sounds before I decide what to buy. All of the videos I have seen someone has an exhaust too, I just want to hear the difference with just the dp.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i think the best bang for your buck is the ERZ DP alot of people say they like it, i have the SR*S CBE(same company as ERZ) and i love it, you wont be dissapointed with the quality, but i have a Helix catless DP and it sounds awesome but its all your preferences, but what i would do for sound clips is i just go on youtube and type in what exhaust i want to here and there is usually something im looking for

·
Registered
670 Posts
hey man, from your pic I can tell that you have an 06-07 model. With these models you definitely want to go catted. This is because of the "boost creep" that these years expirience. Personally, I would go with Cobb...:)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea thanks for the advice. People have told me about this but Cobb says there is a way to fix it by replacing a vacuum line. I just don't know if it is really worth it because i am not sure how much power you would get with catless vs. catted.

Here is a link to the Cobb fix i was talking about: http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?id=3476&rsku=0

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
boardinshorty81 said:
Yea thanks for the advice. People have told me about this but Cobb says there is a way to fix it by replacing a vacuum line. I just don't know if it is really worth it because i am not sure how much power you would get with catless vs. catted.
You don't gain much power by going catless. Go catless to save some $$, or go catted for piece of mind. You can get a Helix catted for a little over $300 if you shop around a bit.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't gain much power by going catless. Go catless to save some $$, or go catted for piece of mind. You can get a Helix catted for a little over $300 if you shop around a bit.
Alright thanks bro. Do you know if there is a super big difference between sound of catted and catless cuz if im guessing if it sounds nice after buying the dp i won't have to buy an exhaust for a while. On my friends z the sound of it being catless was night and day, i just don't know about the rex.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
boardinshorty81 said:
Alright thanks bro. Do you know if there is a super big difference between sound of catted and catless cuz if im guessing if it sounds nice after buying the dp i won't have to buy an exhaust for a while. On my friends z the sound of it being catless was night and day, i just don't know about the rex.
To be honest, your best bet would be to find a local member with the setups you would be considering, and listening to their cars. You can get somewhat of an idea from YouTube, but wind, camera quality, etc. all has an impact on the sound. I tried Helix catted vs catless on YT, and it was tough.

Catless is definitely louder, but to how much, I can't attest.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest, your best bet would be to find a local member with the setups you would be considering, and listening to their cars. You can get somewhat of an idea from YouTube, but wind, camera quality, etc. all has an impact on the sound. I tried Helix catted vs catless on YT, and it was tough.

Catless is definitely louder, but to how much, I can't attest.
Well thanks for the help, after reading more i think I am leaning towards catted even though it will be more. I want to know my setup won't break down on me. Unless someone tells me something about catless that I am missing then I will go catted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
DP question

What happens with the extra bung/holes for the wideband O2 sensor on top of the Cobb DP? Does it come sealed or do you have the ability to open/close it? I cant see how it would stay open if you didnt use the O2... And is there only one stock connector that needs to fit in? Noticed the Perrin does not have that port near the top.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone done the vacuum line replacement that cobb suggested for the 07 wrxs or stis? This is suppose to fix problems with running catless and I am really interested but i am not sure untill someone tells me it works. Here is the link if anyone wants it:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?id=3476&rsku=0

·
Registered
30 Posts
catless only gives u a 2HP gain.... probly not worth the risk or time to get the new vacuum line in less you just want every inch of horse power u can get

·
Registered
812 Posts
What you should ask yourself:
- Do you have strict emissions laws in your area?
- Do you mind your car smelling from being catless?
- What kind of money are you going to spend?
- Do you plan on doing any Engine Management alongside it?
- Do you have strict noise violation laws in your area?
- Do you plan on upgrading your turbo later on?
- Do you care about name brand stuff or is the cheaper stuff ok?

Since you have an 06 or 07, I would recommend getting an accessport with the downpipe...either catless or not. Boost creep and spike can be dangerous after a little time.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What you should ask yourself:
- Do you have strict emissions laws in your area?
- Do you mind your car smelling from being catless?
- What kind of money are you going to spend?
- Do you plan on doing any Engine Management alongside it?
- Do you have strict noise violation laws in your area?
- Do you plan on upgrading your turbo later on?
- Do you care about name brand stuff or is the cheaper stuff ok?

Since you have an 06 or 07, I would recommend getting an accessport with the downpipe...either catless or not. Boost creep and spike can be dangerous after a little time.
I already have an accesport, so the other things would just be my limiting factors. Well where i live and stuff isn't really a problem becuase my friend is catless on his z and he has had any trouble. Also yea i love that smell so i would be down for having that. And yea cheaper stuff is better. I just can't decide if i should go catless or just get a complete turboxs system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey man, from your pic I can tell that you have an 06-07 model. With these models you definitely want to go catted. This is because of the "boost creep" that these years expirience. Personally, I would go with Cobb...:)
The 06-07 WRX's dont have a boost creep issue, its mainly in the STi's where going catless will cause boost creep issues. If you plan on upgrading your turbo at some point I would suggest going catted, but if you plan to go stage 2 on your 06-07 WRX and stay there, it really wont make a difference which way you go boost creep wise.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 06-07 WRX's dont have a boost creep issue, its mainly in the STi's where going catless will cause boost creep issues. If you plan on upgrading your turbo at some point I would suggest going catted, but if you plan to go stage 2 on your 06-07 WRX and stay there, it really wont make a difference which way you go boost creep wise.
Are you sure? Where did you find this out? And also i might get a bigger turbo sometime so i think i might just go catted now anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you sure? Where did you find this out? And also i might get a bigger turbo sometime so i think i might just go catted now anyway.
I am fairly sure, I have on 07 WRX and just recently purchased a TBE. I spoke with a couple of tuners at the shop I am taking my car two, and both said the boost creep issues come into play with the STi vs. the WRX.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am fairly sure, I have on 07 WRX and just recently purchased a TBE. I spoke with a couple of tuners at the shop I am taking my car two, and both said the boost creep issues come into play with the STi vs. the WRX.
Alrighty man i was just asking... that is pretty good, but like i said it think i might go catted with the turboxs system incase i get a bigger turbo later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts