Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could "enlighten" me on the affects of negative camber on tire wear. Last season I ran -1.5 camber on the front with about 3/16" toe out per wheel. I got a little more inside tire wear then the outside, but I don't know if that was from the camber or from the toe out.

Last week in the alignment shop, we set the "street" camber to -1.3 and the toe to 0. When I went to adjust to my "race" settings of -2.5 camber, the toe went to absolute CRAP. I mean like -0.5" or more out.

What I decided to do is have a "street/race" setup on the car. I need a compromise between tire wear and camber. With the +5 degrees of castor that I have in the car now, I don't think I will need much over -2 camber on track. I was thinking about running -2.25 camber and 0 toe. Do you guys think that will be too much inside tire wear? Should I go with -2.0 or -2.25? I figure with 0 toe, there won't be THAT much tire wear.

Thanks for any help
-Tom

·
1,379 Posts
Pappy always sed: Toe decides how much it'll wear, and camber decides where it will wear. Can't say for sure, but I bet if you go to 0 toe & -2.25 camber your tires will last a lot longer, but you'll be cording on the inside well before it starts looking questionable on the outside, so be vigilant...

Related: How did you like going to 0 toe? Big effect? Was the camber changes enough to offset it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havent driven the car spiritedly at all yet. Right now, I have a night autox so I set the car for -2.5 camber and ~0.75 toe out and we'll see what happens tonight on the RE92s :)

I drive on RE92s on the street and will have KDs for autox, so Im only really worried about wearing out the RE92s so damn fast that I go through 2 or 3 sets in a year. I expect a set of tires to last me 15K miles or so driving on the highway. I got that out of the previous set of RE92s, but Im worried that with -2.25 camber and 0 toe, I will wear out the set of RE92s in a 1600 mile road trip. Am I just on crack here?

-Tom

·
1,379 Posts
trhoppe said:
Im worried that with -2.25 camber and 0 toe, I will wear out the set of RE92s in a 1600 mile road trip. Am I just on crack here?
I'm no expert, but I'd bet that the toe change will offset the camber change, and you'll still see in the 15k mi range. IIRC, the rears run -1.3 deg from the factory, so inside wear will be more pronounced than stock rear, but probably not severely. Do keep us posted, though, I don't know of anyone here who has tried that much camber.

And here's a big :eek: to .75" toe, write us tomorrow and "enlighten" us on how she behaves. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
That's an awful lot of camber. I see a lot more wear on the inside with just -.9 deg. It won't wear out in 1600, but you will end up with the insides worn out and the outsides like new eventually!

Of course you do have to re-adjust toe when you adjust camber.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I ate up a set of new tires in just a couple of thousand miles, inside edge, because of abad camber setting.

misterx

·
Registered
23 Posts
Whenever you change the camber, it will affect the toe in the WRX's steering geometry. You need to find a happy medium or get to be buddies with the alignment guy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts