ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 03 wrx auto, and was wondering what all i would need to do a conversion to manual from the auto trans. Somebody is parting out their wrx locally and im thinking of going to see if they've got all the necessary parts for the conversion since it looks to be the same gen.
list of parts or something would be helpful
thanks!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,451 Posts
Generally if the car with the gearbox you want is commercially available it's more sensible to just get the car you want with the gearbox you want. This means that since the Impreza was sold with a manual gearbox, it might be better to find one you want with that option.

If you insist, you'll need the gearbox, pedal set, ECU, I don't know about the harness, clutch assembly with both cyls, I believe the starter, and more stuff that I've left out. Something like this:

95 Impreza Auto--->Manual Conversion [Archive] - NASIOC

My advice... don't unless you're doing it just for fun and have a car to drive in the meantime.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Generally if the car with the gearbox you want is commercially available it's more sensible to just get the car you want with the gearbox you want. This means that since the Impreza was sold with a manual gearbox, it might be better to find one you want with that option.

If you insist, you'll need the gearbox, pedal set, ECU, I don't know about the harness, clutch assembly with both cyls, I believe the starter, and more stuff that I've left out. Something like this:

95 Impreza Auto--->Manual Conversion [Archive] - NASIOC

My advice... don't unless you're doing it just for fun and have a car to drive in the meantime.
+1^..Ive talked to a couple of guys who have converted the old SVX into 5 spds...for some reason whenever you do an auto to manual swap it seems like theres always a snag/place you get hung up...If I where going about this I would purchase the whole donor car just incase you need some unmentioned part...

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,451 Posts
The SVX is a perfect example of an exception to my "forget it" rule - since the supplied gearbox tends to fail sooner or later and manual was not offered, a conversion starts making some sense IMO. Still not a weekend project though, not with my (compete lack of...) skill.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've got an 03 wrx auto, and was wondering what all i would need to do a conversion to manual from the auto trans. Somebody is parting out their wrx locally and im thinking of going to see if they've got all the necessary parts for the conversion since it looks to be the same gen.
list of parts or something would be helpful
thanks!
save your money..find a different project..thats going to be a lot of work if you dont have the right skills, resources, time, and a back up vehicle

·
Registered
871 Posts
The SVX is a perfect example of an exception to my "forget it" rule - since the supplied gearbox tends to fail sooner or later and manual was not offered, a conversion starts making some sense IMO. Still not a weekend project though, not with my (compete lack of...) skill.
Tushae..;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts