ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2004 STi from a dealership that has aftermarket Tein coilovers on it. This is my 3rd WRX (1st one was modded to high hell, I had the JDM STi v7 Spec C struts/springs on it and loved them to death). The second one was a stock 06 TR, no mods at all, handled well but had that frustratingly squishy stock WRX feel to it. This one handles well and definitely flings into the corners but after 2 weeks I'm basically done driving around on coilovers and want something more daily driver friendly. I don't race the car or do any organized events, I just like having something in there that compliments the already fantastic qualities of the car. My thoughts right now are stock struts maybe with springs or even just totally going back to stock and turning a little profit on the coilovers when I take them off.

Here's my questions: I haven't had a chance to put the car on a lift and take a good look at the suspension, so as far as I know it just has the Tein coilovers on it. What identifying features can I use to figure out what coilovers are on there? I don't have any real experience with the Tein product line so I wouldn't know how to tell the SS from the Flex; anything significant I can look for so I can see what I actually have? Also, what would be a fair asking price, assuming the standard "okay" condition that 90% of all aftermarket used suspensions are in. I'd like to try to do a swap with someone and end up with a couple hundred bucks and a stock suspension or maybe something mildly aftermarket for an even trade, so pricing these out and determining what product I actually have is key.

Thanks in advance for the help,

~Tim

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Post up some pics of the coilovers!

If I had a street driven STi, I would have one of two suspensions on it in heartbeat:

1. RCE Yellow Springs w/ Ohlin fixed perch struts. $$$
2. JDM STi pinks w/ Koni Inserts in WRX strut housings. $$

GroupN tophats optional.
Funny you mention that, because I put some thought into option 2. I like those and the KYB AGX, I'm just not 100% sure on how to make it all fit together nicely in an STi using WRX parts.

I'll take a pic or two if I can get a good angle on it without a lift tomorrow. The thing sits so low I can hardly see up in the wheel well standing next to it....

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Funny you mention that, because I put some thought into option 2. I like those and the KYB AGX,
Forget the AGX, a good set of dampers makes the suspension what it is.

Pony up the extra bucks for a shot set of WRX struts and the Konis.

Post up the set of Tein's. Depending on what they are, I might even make you an offer on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts