ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a question as far as the differences on cars and hp. Say you have two cars and the hp is the same (according to manufacturers specs). Is there really going to be a any differences that would make one car have a devastating advantage (ex. wieght, etc.)? So basically if these to cars race would there be a huge difference in the finishing times?

·
Registered
475 Posts
There can be major differences. I can think of three key factors : Traction, Drive System ( AWD/RWD/FWD ), and power band. All of this is still ignoring driver ability that is probably even more crucial. Also it depends where you are talking about HP measurements from. If you mean at the wheels I'd say my first factor somewhat drops out. If you mean at the crank then a 227 hp RWD and a 227 hp AWD car are going to exhibit significantly difference performance.

para

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK heres another question. Im thinking about getting a Lexus IS 300 and adding the Stage II upgrade kit which adds 100hp+. So which car would be better the AWD 300hp STI or a RWD 315hp IS 300?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Apples v Oranges.

Add stage 2 mods to an STi and you have a car with sh!tload more HP than the Lexus.
Having said that, the Lexus is a hot car, girls love 'em and I loved driving them when I have.
But...looking at the cash/performance modifications ratio, you'll struggle to get it to go as fast as an STi and you'll probably never get it to handle as well.

I say if you want Bling go the Lexus and if you want Yehaa!! under your feet go for the STi.

·
The Legendary Bad Ass (aka; Buzzz)
5,400 Posts
With your application stated, you are comparing bling to performance.
The performance of rear wheel drive is very dependant upon the set-up of the vehicle. The IS 300 is not set up to leave the line. 400 horsepower is not going to help that deal. You will not be able to be in the same world at the street or strip with an STI. The AWD is much less dependant upon weight placement and transfer. The STI is set up for performance. Both stright line and cornering. But image is very important in vehilces. If that is what you are looking for, then go for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts