Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I posted somewhat recently about my intention to sell my 2012 WRX due to a on going spine injury, and moving to NYC. I intend to bring it to carmax, then attempt to private sell within that 7 day period on ebay.

My question revolves around how the below (minimal) parts would each devalue the estimate of my car from CarMax. Any idea on which in particular would be most detrimental, and by how much? Everything else on my car is stock.

1) Do not have stock radio, nor can I find it. I don't think it would be worth it to buy and reinstall the stock stereo
2) Have minimal m3-esce spoiler on sedan trunk, just double sided tape. Not sure if I want to remove it or let the buyer if they want to.
2) Have RA Mudflaps equipped. with my back can't take them off, not willing to pay for simple uninstallation.
4) Have wire from battery to trunk from audio upgrade. This I could probably remove even with my injury.

I'm also hesitant to put more time/money into it for Carmax if I end up selling private anyway.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
If it were me, I'd focus on the private sale. If the car is in great shape, you may find a buyer who's willing to give you what you want for it. I found a semi-local buyer for my 2002, who paid me $2000 over bluebook for my car, even though it had extensive engine/suspension mods. It was probably one of the sharper bugeye wagons in this area, though. (Excuse the hubris..I miss the car so brag on it... :) )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you - yeah going for private unless Carmax offers 2k in line with what I am thinking.

·
MassSubaru
92 Posts
So I have a few buddies who work at CarMax in Massachusetts in different departments (I am not an Employee. I forwarded them your post and this is what I got for responses.

“If any engine mods it will be kicked to wholesale”

“Best advice would be getting the appraisal done and comparing it to other similar 2012 wrx, my experience has seen 2012 wrxs get offers between 16k-20k depending on alot of different things. that being said we bought in that Evo MR with like 10k worth of parts to the car (including engine) and we still gave the guy 12k, which don't get me wrong is less then face value but still a decent amount considering all the aftermarket parts and it not being able to be registered in Massachusetts”

According to all four of them this is really only what CarMax (Policy Wise) isn’t looking for. They mentioned that usually most cars will have aftermarket head units or other internal mods done to the vehicle.

I agree that you should look at private sale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. So I actually ended up selling to a friend of a friend who works at a dealership, got under 17kish. Private I would have expected 18 IMO, but the dealer made it too easy for me to let it go. No inspection, no real questions, came to my apartment, gave me bill of sale, certified check, paid for the sub and floormats (I bought new in package), and all within 30 minutes. Definitely could of made more, but I couldn't put more work into selling it, have a bad injury right now and didn't want to have to deal with test drives, bringing to a mechanic with buyer, etc. Granted the car was a beaut...

·
MassSubaru
92 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. So I actually ended up selling to a friend of a friend who works at a dealership, got under 17kish. Private I would have expected 18 IMO...
Congratulations on the sale of your vehicle! Totally understand that your dealing with an injury and would have made the selling process if you continued quite difficult.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts