ClubWRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey eveyone, i already have an up-pipe ( thanks to speelnik :) ) and he equipped my car with the CEL fix when i bought the car

what i was wondering is when i get my downpipe (with no cats) will my CEL go on? or will i need another fix for the CEL???

thanks,

-anthony

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well you are talking about two different CELs.

The one he fixed with the uppipe is the EGT probe CEL; you solve it by jamming a 2.2K ohm 1/2watt resistor into the harness.

The downpipe CEL will be a rear catalyst inefficiency code and you'll need to fix it with a MIL eliminator, mechanical rear fix, or Perrin MIL Simulator.

Run a search on any of these to see how they work or how to install them.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
yes. you'll either need a mechanical fix or a perrin simulator.

if your county/state doesn't use OBD-II emission testing (ie, they use the sniffer) you can just use the PEP MIL Eliminator

I've bolded the good terms to search for. :)

welcome to the world of catless power.

dR

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Another option is an AccessPort. I'm fully catless and have never seen a CEL over 42,000 miles of driving.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RayfieldsWRX said:
Another option is an AccessPort. I'm fully catless and have never seen a CEL over 42,000 miles of driving.
yes i have heard of that, not quite sure what or how it works:( is it a re-flash of some sort? or is there a site which has this?

sorry about the newbie questions

·
48,699 Posts
dark_rex said:
the accessport is a engine management solution, not a CEL fix.

it's a side effect that it stops CELs, not it's primary purpose.
True enough, but most people that are serious about mods will get to engine management sooner or later. I didn't buy a "dedicated" CEL fix because I knew I'd be reflashing, and have it covered. I figured our friend here should know about this as well.:)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RayfieldsWRX said:
True enough, but most people that are serious about mods will get to engine management sooner or later. I didn't buy a "dedicated" CEL fix because I knew I'd be reflashing, and have it covered. I figured our friend here should know about this as well.:)
thanks man

·
Registered
461 Posts
Here is how to do the mechanical cel fix on the down pipe. Yes, engine management will clear it but for 5 bucks and 1/2 an hour of time it's worth it to me.

You can get a set of spark plug non foulers from the auto parts store that will screw into the bung. Go get HELP! brand spark plug non foulers part # 42009 or 42002. Drill out tip of one with 1/2" drill bit. Screw them together and then into O2 bung hole on pipe. This creates an extension to move the O2 sensor back.
The only difference in the part numbers is one of the sets is tapered, and the other is not. Either will work just make sure you drill out the top one to 1/2" so the sensor doesn't bottom out.

Oh - and welcome to the Club! :wiggles:

·
48,699 Posts
One thing that hasn't been mentioned are the downpipes that are available with "built-in" CEL fixes. My PDE is one of them (I got no CEL's for the month or so that I was running around before my Stage 2 reflash), and I know that Godspeeds is another. The sensor is relocated to a place where it's reading will mislead the ECU.

·
Registered
677 Posts
pjdwrx said:
Here is how to do the mechanical cel fix on the down pipe. Yes, engine management will clear it but for 5 bucks and 1/2 an hour of time it's worth it to me.

You can get a set of spark plug non foulers from the auto parts store that will screw into the bung. Go get HELP! brand spark plug non foulers part # 42009 or 42002. Drill out tip of one with 1/2" drill bit. Screw them together and then into O2 bung hole on pipe. This creates an extension to move the O2 sensor back.
The only difference in the part numbers is one of the sets is tapered, and the other is not. Either will work just make sure you drill out the top one to 1/2" so the sensor doesn't bottom out.

Oh - and welcome to the Club! :wiggles:
I bought these a while back but havent ever installed them. Originally my Perrin 02 Simulator wasnt working but now my CEL is gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.