ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i will be buying an 05' Java Black WRX Sedan here in about 4 months and i had some basic questions to ask of you.

Mainly in regards to Wheels/Tires.

So far i've been looking very heavily at th 17/18" Enkei RPM2 in Hyper Black OR O.Z. Superleggera in Gold.

The 17's for both are 7" wide wheels, whereas the Enkei's 18's that have a decent offset are 7.5" wide and the OZ 18's are 8" wide. What would you reccomend?

For Tires i will be purchasing Yoko' EVS100's. Either 225/45/17 or 225/40/18.

I would really like to go with 18's, but a few things concern me.
1. The roads in colorado are not very smooth to say the least, obviously the jeep handles it no problem, but i dont want to dent wheels if i can avoid it.
2. I'm especially concerned about the possibility of it rubbing the fender well, this is something i'm fairly familiar with already having been driving a 4inch lifted Jeep Cherokee with 31" tires on it. In the 4 wheeling community we always just trimmed, but i really dont want to hack up a brand new car ;-).
3. I'm looking very seriously into Tein Coilovers down the road, and if so would want to lower it, would having 18's create any issues here?

Also i would appreciate everyone's opinion and what they thing would look good etc. I like the gold, but i dont want people to think im trying to copy the STI's etc. Also your opinions on weight, strength etc. I know the enkei's are about 3lbs heavier than the OZ's but then again neither are Forged ;-(.

Regardless thanks again all and i appreciate your help.

·
Registered
511 Posts
personally i would go with the O.Z. superleggeras because that was my 2nd choice on wheels. 17 or 18 with stock suspension won't rub, including those tire choices. if you do decide to lower it depending on the amount you could be looking at having to roll the fenders but that would have to mean your ride is pretty much slammed.

your setup is pretty much like mine and i have no rubbing issues.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you want 18's, get 18's, will save you a lot of headache in the long run. :)

Get the 18x7.5 and 225/40R18.

As far as rubbing goes, you are looking at an extra .2 inches of overall diameter going to 18's. It's not going to matter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool, thanks for all the info.

If i did get the Tein's i would be lowering it probably no more than an inch front/rear. Maybe even less than that. If i were in texas or something i'd consider more but not here.

And should i choose to buy the 18" oz, would a 235 tire rub?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so after reading this thread and some others, i think im gonna go with the Enkei RPM2 18x7.5 +50mm with Yokohama EVS100 225/40/R18.

Should perform very well i hope, i've read many good things on the tires. For 150 each they better be nice lol.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its going to be a daily driver for me, 20 miles each way to work as well. So i want something that will hook up well when its wet or dry. And if i need to hand some cocky kid in a honda his ass i can do that to.

I'm going to keep the stock wheels around and slap a set of blizzak LM22's on them when the snow starts hitting around here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh i was also going to mention, if you guys have other tire suggestions the yoko's aren't set in stone. I just spent a few hours researching the other day between about 10 different tires in that price range and those seemed to be the best overall.

just FYI i don't really give a damn about tire noise. Ride in a truck with 38" swampers on it and you will think anything on a car is quiet ;-)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have a set of bridgestone potenza S0-3 pole positions on my wrx. They are expensive, but they have great wet and dry grip. They grip in rain like my old tires did in dry weather.

Also, if you live near rough roads and you get Tein coilovers, be sure to get the EDFC. It will make the car much more driveable and practical.

Just my 2 cents :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts