ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped my stock rims and re92's for a set of stock 16" rims with kumho ecstra 712's mounted on them. I bought the second set a year ago and had them stored on my balcony until today. After the wheels had been swapped, I realized that each tire only had about 10-15 psi of air in them. I had paid to have the wheels balanced as they were put on. Does their being underinflated effect the balancing process?

Thanks.. j

·
Moderating on the run!
12,482 Posts
They were underinflated when balanced? Or were balanced and then lost pressure? If it's the second your fine, just get them back up to proper pressure.

Big Sky

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big Sky WRX said:
They were underinflated when balanced? Or were balanced and then lost pressure?
I think they were only 15 psi when they were balanced. When I got my car back, the tires only had 15 psi in them... so are they properly balanced?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,482 Posts
jutus said:
I think they were only 15 psi when they were balanced. When I got my car back, the tires only had 15 psi in them... so are they properly balanced?
That's odd and a good question. They always ask me what I'm running for pressure before they balance my tires. I would think that w/ only 15psi you wouldn't get the correct blance as they are trying to compensate for any irregularities- if they aren't fully inflated I wouldn't think you'd get the true "picture". I know for sure w/ the roadforce balancing machine you need fully inflated tires as they put a load on them. With conventional balancing equipemnt it might not be necessary????

I'd call the outfit and ask them. Also a quick drive up to 80 or so will tell you in a hurry if your tires are properly balanced ie you won't get a vibration (speed related).

LMK as I'm very curious.

Big Sky

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
That's odd and a good question. They always ask me what I'm running for pressure before they balance my tires. I would think that w/ only 15psi you wouldn't get the correct blance as they are trying to compensate for any irregularities- if they aren't fully inflated I wouldn't think you'd get the true "picture". I know for sure w/ the roadforce balancing machine you need fully inflated tires as they put a load on them. With conventional balancing equipemnt it might not be necessary????

I'd call the outfit and ask them. Also a quick drive up to 80 or so will tell you in a hurry if your tires are properly balanced ie you won't get a vibration (speed related).

LMK as I'm very curious.

Big Sky
Conventional wheel balancing is just old physics of spinning a wheel....fully pressurised or not, it doesn't matter....air inside a tyre doesn't really affect the balance....it's like like having some viscous sticky liquid inside where inertia is taken into account.

Tyre installation places ask for tyre pressure so that they can inflate them to your wishes after install and balancing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the clarification, schischwein. I guess they just forgot to do the last step, i.e. inflate my tires.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
When I've balanced, we usually get them to pressure before doing it, but I think thats only because of where the machines are in the shop and such. You have to take the pressure up high to set the bead, and once you do that you let air back out. Sounds like they just let a lot out and didn't put it to the pressure you're running.

Jay

·
Moderating on the run!
12,482 Posts
Little off the topic, but after having my wheels/tires balanced w/ a Hunter Road Force machine- I'll never use anything else (for my "summer" tires anyways). Thing is absolutely amazing- hi-tech at it's best. Checks for round and runout (both wheel/tire)- lets the tech know the optimimum mounting location of the tire on the rim, once that is taken care of, then it shows the exact weight and location for balancing- you can utilize inside weights w/ the setup as well. Does all of this whiel putting a "real" load on the tire/wheel, replicating what you'd have on the road. Cost wasn't too much over conventional balancing- think it was $40 for four wheels/tires.

Big Sky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts