ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

im in the market for some new wheels. after research i decided i wanted rota torques in gold with falken azenis tires. i emailed subydude because they seem to have the best prices. i asked about both 7.5 and 8 inch wide wheels. i got a price for both, and they said that both had a 225/45/17 tire. the only difference was that the 8 inch wheel is 50 more bucks. is there a point in getting the 8 inch wheels when the tires are the same size?

·
Registered
956 Posts
they are good. i got mine in person. i'd go wide if you have the room.

·
Registered
525 Posts
It would seem to me that the tire's characteristics would be different on a different sized wheel. I'd imagine performance would be improved (how much?) with a wider wheel. Subydude or the folks at Tirerack would know.

Or maybe I'm making this up...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
fatgroundhog said:
It would seem to me that the tire's characteristics would be different on a different sized wheel. I'd imagine performance would be improved (how much?) with a wider wheel. Subydude or the folks at Tirerack would know.

Or maybe I'm making this up...
I can't imagine why Subaru would do it if it didn't help.. But I wouldn't be surprised either way.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was under the impression that for the '05 STI, Subaru went to a wider rim so they could mount a wider tire (235). However, they weren't able to get DoT approval for '05 so they still mount the 225s, and the 235s should be avail on the '06s. I could be wrong..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is a 245-45-17 tire the same diameter as the stock tires? also will they rub on a sedan? im asking because i dont want my speedo to be off and then my odometer as a result. thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no the old wheels were 7.5 and they still cleared..

so let me get this right

225/45/17
235/45/17
245/45/17

those tires will fit on the 17x8 torques and they are my choices..if i get the 245s will the speedo be off, or is the 45 the number that deals with actual tire diameter and the 245 is how wide they are? thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
You would want 245 40 17 if you choose to go with 245. If you have a sedan you will be able to fit the 245 40 17 depending on your suspension setup and if your fenders are rolled.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks subieworx. i guess i will get 235/45/17 because i dont want to roll my fenders and i dont really want to be on the edge with tire size lol. would i need 235/45 or 235/40?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm sure this is somewhere, but I'll post it in here anyways. :)

if you have 245/40-17 tires, it means:

the tires are 245mm wide
the sidewalls are 40% of the width
the rims are 17" in diameter (Crazy to mix metric and imperial, but they do)

SO:
Diameter is what dertermines the circumference, which is what matters to the speedometer. We just need to find the overall diameter (OD).

To get the rim Diameter in mm:
17" (x25.4) = 431.8 mm

To get the sidewall height:
245 x .40 = 98mm

since there are 2 sidewalls, one above, one below:
98 x 2 = 196mm

add it all together:
196 + 431.8 = 627.8mm

compare that to the stock tire to see if there will be much of a difference.

For those math-inclined:

245/40-17 = A/B-C

OD = Cx25.4+2A(B/100)

That should be correct.. but I have a headache. :(

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks alot man! that is extremely helpful :wiggles:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was considering getting 235/40-17s on 17x7.5 Torques. Would that setup work without having to rolling my fenders and without having any rubbing issues?

·
Registered
267 Posts
psychobooe said:
I was considering getting 235/40-17s on 17x7.5 Torques. Would that setup work without having to rolling my fenders and without having any rubbing issues?
You won't have any problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts