ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have boots out on both sides of what i believe to be the steering rack. (pardon any n00bishness on the topic)

1) are there any differences in WRX and STi steering racks? (i heard the STi has a better ratio)

2) is it possible to swap an STi rack into a WRX? (with or without additional mods)

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
the steering rack of the STi's 04-07 is 15:1, the 02-04 WRX 16.5:1, the 05-07 WRX shares the same 15:1 as the STi- if you have a 05+ WRX not even worth considering, if you have a 02-04 worth considering. a 04 STi steering rack is a direct bolt in, the 05+ STi racks are not, you need the cross member as well.

it's possible the torn boots you speak of are on your axles- these contain the CV joints- the tear lets all of the grease out frying the joints- not good

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the steering rack of the STi's 04-07 is 15:1, the 02-04 WRX 16.5:1, the 05-07 WRX shares the same 15:1 as the STi- if you have a 05+ WRX not even worth considering, if you have a 02-04 worth considering. a 04 STi steering rack is a direct bolt in, the 05+ STi racks are not, you need the cross member as well.

it's possible the torn boots you speak of are on your axles- these contain the CV joints- the tear lets all of the grease out frying the joints- not good
no they aren't on my axles...
come on mang... i'm not that stupid!

·
Registered
593 Posts
how much quicker would that be? like from about 4 turns lock to lock to what?

Matt

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
I don't recall the lock to lock, but I got to drive a 15:1 car it was definitely nice, I also drove an EVO (13:1) sometime back and that was nice as well :) Driving around town I don't think you'd probably even notice the difference, it's when you start turning pretty aggressively that it becomes noticeable.

I think the new 08's remain 15:1 as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you do the STI steering rack swap into an 02 wrx, do you need the STI inner tie rods also? Or can you reuse the wrx.

I've noticed sometimes when people sell the racks, they don't come with the tie rods.

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Is there a benefit to using the crossmember? Seems like more cost and work to put in.

I know that an 04 STI is a direct swap into an 02 wrx and the crossmember is not needed.
Yes, two benefits.

1. WRX steering racks are cheaper.

2. Subaru also improved the mount for the steering rack when they redesigned the crossmember.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, two benefits.

1. WRX steering racks are cheaper.

2. Subaru also improved the mount for the steering rack when they redesigned the crossmember.
Thanks for the help. Need to replace mine because its leaking, but i'm trying to find the right upgrade.

When i called the dealer they were quoting the same price as the WRX. Don't they have the same ratio as the STI. If so, sounds like they maybe the same part number? That doesn't include the crossmember.

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
When i called the dealer they were quoting the same price as the WRX. Don't they have the same ratio as the STI. If so, sounds like they maybe the same part number? That doesn't include the crossmember.
You buy these parts used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts