ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I just got my new 2012 wry wagon, and i don't really have a lift... I'm finding it difficult to take off the side skirts and panels... and honestly i just don't want to mess anything up on my new car... i think I've even stripped the philips head pop screw for the side skirt... :/ will my subie dealership be willing to do the install for me? I'm getting a short throw put in on monday, so its not like I'm going out of my way to go to the dealership. I know this is like super lame, and totally noobie, but i just don't have the tools/ proper area to install these. my driveway is a gravel hill... lol but yeah any feedback on the dealership thing would be nice. also are those plastic screws replaceable? where can i find a new screw incase i stripped it too bad?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
All the screws are replaceable.You can get them at your dealer.And,they are not screws.You only do a half twist & the head pops out.After which you have to pull the rivet off.

Did you watch the video on how to install?

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did watch the video... it made more sense to me after watching it again. my buddy also told me that using two flat heads to remove them can break the rivets. just worried. and he also said that its like impossible to install the rear without taking the wheels off?

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is the best way of popping the rivets out?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
and he also said that its like impossible to install the rear without taking the wheels off?
Not impossible....just harder with the wheels on. And you would need a real real short philips screwdrivver to get the inside screw. I installed mine without removing the wheels, and it was way more difficult that way....then when I installed my summer wheels, I loosened all the screws and readjusted them...much easier with the wheels off.

what is the best way of popping the rivets out?
not real sure the 'best way', but make sure you do it when it is warm out. These things are made of plastic which gets real brittle below about 50 decrees (I broke 2 when installing mine last year, and it was in the upper 40's).

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have to buy new rivets from the dealership? (did they have to order these parts? or did they have plenty of them lol) how much $

·
Registered
81 Posts
You do not need to take your wheels off for the rear flaps. Use your Subaru jack in your trunk and lift the right side when you do the right and lift the left side when you do the left. Helps out a ton, you just have to not mind laying down and having patience putting them in. If you don't know what you're doing or if it's your first time then your going to break clips and/or rivets.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I put mine on my 2012 Wagon about a month ago pretty easily without having to jack it up or take the wheels off. For the front right just turn the wheel the whole way to the left and opposite for the other side. As for the rears i just bent the clasp back to where i could get an angle to tighten the screw for the bottom inside screws. Did it all with regular screw driver and wrachet for the fronts. If it makes since sorry im a noob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts