ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone once told me that since these cars are turbocharged that the oil is more susceptible to becoming low since the turbo generates heat. Tonight I checked my oil and it was below the L on the dipstick. My question is this a normal problem for the WRX? Is that why my oil is low is because of the turbo? Or is it even a problem lol. I changed my oil at about 86,XXX now I have 89,XXX I changed my oil with royal purple synthetic oil and plan to change it every 3,000 miles just to make sure there's always clean oil in there. ( I know with synthetic you can go longer between oil changes) I just personally decide not to. It just came to mind tonight since I'm going to change my oil tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Yes and no. First off, your car is like any other car...stay on top of the oil. Use quality oils. Ive found that cheap oils and very thin oils burn off easier than others. I would use quality synthetics.

Also, not to scare you, but if you ever have the chance, switch to the sti oil pan. We sell a kit for the parts if youre interested...it could possibly save your motor in the future.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My car burns a little bit of oil every 1000 miles, try to keep at least a quart of oil in the car at all times.
For me it's because of the breather tubes, my inlet had a sticky layer of oil near the breather tube holes.
Get a catch can while you're at it man.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car burns a little bit of oil every 1000 miles, try to keep at least a quart of oil in the car at all times.
For me it's because of the breather tubes, my inlet had a sticky layer of oil near the breather tube holes.
Get a catch can while you're at it man.
Yeah my had the oil changed at 86k and is now at 89k hadn't checked it once between that time frame. Cuz I thought the guy that told me that was only having problems with his car. NOW I am gonna go ahead and check it every I put gas in my car just to be extra safe. What kind of oil are you running?

·
Registered
316 Posts
The STI oilpan may be a good idea if you are doing a lot of track time; that is long high-G corners that would move the oil away from the pick-up for an extended period. If this is just your daily driver, then the STI oil pan will make no difference to the longevity of your engine at all.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
The STI oilpan may be a good idea if you are doing a lot of track time; that is long high-G corners that would move the oil away from the pick-up for an extended period. If this is just your daily driver, then the STI oil pan will make no difference to the longevity of your engine at all.
It really depends on how people drive...Subaru guys are big on cornering hard and doing hard accelerations were oil can slosh to the one part of the oil pan.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yeah my had the oil changed at 86k and is now at 89k hadn't checked it once between that time frame. Cuz I thought the guy that told me that was only having problems with his car. NOW I am gonna go ahead and check it every I put gas in my car just to be extra safe. What kind of oil are you running?
Dealership uses Mobil 1, I check the oil EVERY fillup, so I'm never low. So everyone hush with the low sheering limits.
And top off with NAPA brand synthetic. ~15k miles in less than 5 months. No problems.

It really depends on how people drive...Subaru guys are big on cornering hard and doing hard accelerations were oil can slosh to the one part of the oil pan.
Pshhhhhhhh wha... what'do... c'mon..... no...... yeah... =D

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I ran mobile 1 for a long time. Now I use whatever synthetic is reasonable in a 5 qt. jug at walmart.

Just confirm that it meets the specs in the manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts