Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, last night I installed the column mount boost guage from subaruparts.com

Everything went great. Instructions were typical (mostly poor illustrations and next to no text). I just took my time and made sure everything was right (or at least looked right) the first time.

Started her up and everything was golden.

My complaints: lights up white instead of green, and in MPa instead of PSI or bar.

Overall a great lil gauge for the price.

At any rate, what should it read at idle and such?

I've noticed boost peaks to about 0.095 MPa which translates to 13.77 PSI. So I assume everything is good.

But it only indicates 0 with the engine off and sometimes while driving (guess the turbo about to come online).

I was under the impression that it should hit 0 at idle too. Someone confrim my lunacy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Si2WRX said:

I was under the impression that it should hit 0 at idle too. Someone confrim my lunacy.

Thanks!
Ok... your crazy :D if you read the instructions that came with the kit, you will notice that Subaru says that you should read between -.05 and -.07 at idle.

Turbo chargers are load dependant and so you will get anywhere from that figure to your max boost depending on what sort of load you have on the motor.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Si2WRX,

yeti beat me to the punch and is %100 correct. When the car is idling with the throttle completely closed, the manifold will draw a vacuum that will be displayed on you gauge.

-Jim

·
Registered
316 Posts
Autometer and Defi reads in psi. There might be some other ones too. But I don't think you can use the Subaru mount with those guages. You might have to get a custom mount.

I have the subaru one right now, but I might go with either Greddy or HKS later on and get a clear view of my tach :D It's not that it blocks the tach totally but I want it mounted either above the driver side AC vent or on the A-pilar.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the reasons why I got this kit was its location. Having it right in front of the tach is a very good place to locate a gauge you need to keep your eye on. Another reason was the good price. ~$160 isn't bad for a kit with gauge and all hardware.

I had A-pillar mounted gauges in my Honda and they're not that great of a spot, although pretty convenient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts