ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys is this shifter got bushings and all the right stuff from the factory if you get a STI short shifter from factory? I noticed there are lots of folks that purchase shifters aftermarket and people are always saying they need bushing kits etc.... Thanks Just wondering have not picked car up yet.... Chris

·
Registered
59 Posts
Because it isn't required for smooth operation, it's just a different feel. The bushings tighten things up a bit and make shifts a bit more precise/stiff. My car has the STi short throw on it and it feels just fine to me without the additional SPT bushing kit. I guess the only way you would know is to try someones car with the short throw/bushing kit installed, or just purchase them and try it out on your own car. I haven't ever read anything bad about them thus far.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
The short shifter only shortens the throw.Does nothing to firm up shiftimg.

The bushings are actually a separate part.The shifter bushings are worth it.They improve shifter feel.Although I do not have them,I have heard that they are not as good as after market bushings.I would recommend kartboy bushings.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The general consensus from what I've seen is that the kartboys are better than the SPT bushings, but I wonder by how much? I want to get the SPT's as then I can get my dealership to install them, and retain my warrany (for that area). From the comments i've heard on here I'm a bit worried that the SPT's won't be much of an improvement over the stock feel though. Anyone tried both and care to comment?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have the STS, and although I feel it's nice & tight, it's quite "notchy" for my taste. I'm starting to think I need me some bushings...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Can someone explain the purpose of bushings? I have the sts, but it seems tight and testy when it comes to finding gears. What are bushings? Would they fix this issue? How? Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
The purpose of the bushings is to fix the slop of the shifter.The aftermarket bushings are made of harder rubber than the soft OEM bushings which deteriorate over time.Mine looked worn when I replaced them at 3000 miles.

Install instructions can be found in the thread in my sig ,post #3.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts