ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I worry? If I choose to cruise for long periods of time at over 100mph in a wrx "ie. driving for long periods of time 4-6000 rpm range", would I be doing any damage to the turbo, "or anything else for that matter" due to the fact that the car is turning over such high RPM. Also, If my cruising speed is equaling, in the range of 4000 RPM, would the turbo be working overtime and say maby over heat? This may sound like a n00b ish question but I,v always driven naturaly asperated cars "96 stang and 98 Z28" and am considering buying 2002 WRX. Also, has any body heard of posible new body pannles coming on the 2003. If so i would love to see pics.

Thanks for your imput :confused:

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
The main concern is before you shut off the engine, you let the engine idle for a few minutes so the turbo cools down and prevents the oil from coking due to turbo heat.

·
2,472 Posts
do you have a boost gauge?

look at it - even if ur in the 4-6k rpm range, if ur not pressing on the gas that hard, ur not making boost. usually when i'm cruising, i'm in 5th and vacuum is at -10 or -5

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
OK, I have a question for you need4spd. Where on earth do you live where you can drive in excess of 100mph for an extended period of time to cause you to ask a question like this? (I might want to come visit you!:D )

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL :p I live by this moto "In the game of life, winner don't wait for chances, they take them!!!" :cool: many freeways late at night allow planty of oppertunity to hall major AZZ,
ie. NEEDFOR SPEED;)

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
WRXed said:
OK, I have a question for you need4spd. Where on earth do you live where you can drive in excess of 100mph for an extended period of time to cause you to ask a question like this? (I might want to come visit you!:D )
My AVERAGE cruising speed on the PA TP sans traffic is 90+mph.

The thing is, maximum cruise control setting = 89mph!

-Jim

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:

-Jim
That really ticked me off when I found that out. Whats a guy cruising across nebraska supposed to do? Everytime I go out west I usually cruised at 90+ in my maxima. My WRX is more stable than the maxima, so i'm sure i'll go the same speed.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Yeah, if you think about it though it makes sense from Subaru's point of view. They look around at Japan's crowded roads, and conclude - rightly so - that you should be DRIVING if you're going that fast, not just cruising. That holds quite well in the Eastern part of the US - including the PA TP! (Sorry - I just don't think it's very safe to just be on cruise at those speeds on crowded highways).

However, when you get out west here things change! I took a trip out to CA a couple of years ago and cruised behind a Volvo across Nevada at around 110 for several hours. Saw maybe three other cars in three hours. The car I was in had no cruise whatsoever, but it would have been nice - and safe.

·
2,472 Posts
i'm sorry, but do none of you guys have COPS around the area you cruise???? wherever i go, even on the highways in tx, there are cops everywhere. i have no friggin clue how u get away with it, plz share the secret :D

didn't montana use to not have speed limits? hehe...is it still like that?

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
No, Montana has speed limits now. It was bogus anyway. You'd get a ticket for sure if a cop caught you doing over 85. As it turned out, with no speed limit and only the "safe and prudent" law, you could get a speeding ticket at any speed.

Only out in the middle of nowhere (and I mean nowhere - "remote" America) have I ever seen people get away with it. Parts of West Texas would qualify, but those Rangers are hardasses

·
Registered
344 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
My AVERAGE cruising speed on the PA TP sans traffic is 90+mph.

-Jim

yeah what is up with that! When i was on my way back from california to wisconsin i had some wide open freeway and i couldnt set my cruise above 90 :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
dehnem said:
yeah what is up with that! When i was on my way back from california to wisconsin i had some wide open freeway and i couldnt set my cruise above 90 :rolleyes:

It's only been 4 years maybe the figured it out.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
scotts05 said:
could u overheat your engine doing this?
My friend's father works for some company that tests and manufactures catylitic converters for different cars. The way they test them is to run the motors hard for up to 100 hours in order to "age" the cats to test their effeciency. They run the motors pretty hard at different precent throttles. They just use fans to cool the motors, so my guess is that they do not overheat.

·
Registered
153 Posts
scotts05 said:
could u overheat your engine doing this?

Highly unlikely unless you have some other problem(s) with the car that would cause a chain of events leading to over heating.

Driving at 100+ for any length of time WILL cause you to burn a hell of a lot more gas, however.

·
Registered
41 Posts
montanabahn

GV27 said:
No, Montana has speed limits now. It was bogus anyway. You'd get a ticket for sure if a cop caught you doing over 85. As it turned out, with no speed limit and only the "safe and prudent" law, you could get a speeding ticket at any speed.

Only out in the middle of nowhere (and I mean nowhere - "remote" America) have I ever seen people get away with it. Parts of West Texas would qualify, but those Rangers are hardasses
funny, the trooper i passed going east at 85 mph in my trans am outside bozeman didn't blink an eye. i came up on slower traffic, went around them and then went back to 100+ for a couple of more hours. this was my first trip home after the reasonable and prudent went into effect.

it's a lot safer concentrating on your side of the interstate than watching the other side for highway patrol cars. need to realize that in MT it still isn't unusual to have no cars for a mile or more ahead of and/or behind you on the interstate.

but driving that fast can wear you out so after about 400 miles i slowed down to 85 and got passed by some lady in an old beat up chevy with a kid in the back!

some low life who abused the limit (driving way too fast on a hilly, curvy 2-lane highway) and claimed to be an ex-NASCAR driver ruined the whole deal for everybody. court said the law was too vague. at least he had to spend some time in jail.

on another trip i did hear a trooper on my scanner telling his supervisor about a porsche club going ~ 90 and asking if he should pull them over.

so i slowed down...

for a few miles. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts