ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm gonna be goin to the drag strip on friday and i was wonderin if cam2 (race fuel) would help me out any, so far i'm runnin catless up, catless dp, cat back, txs bov, and a i/c sprayer

thanks

·
Registered
898 Posts
If you're running stock boost and ECU, probably not. The ECU would need some time to take advantage of the higher octane. You could use a MBC and bump the boost up 2-3 psi pretty safely.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is Cam2 leaded? If so, it could foul your O2 sensors. Also, if you still have a cat in your mid pipe, leaded gas will coat the cat and render it useless. If Cam2 is leaded, a gallon or two of toluene would probably be a safer way to increase octane.

Of course, without engine management (increased boost, leaner fuel air mixtures, etc.), increased octane won't really give you more power so long as you aren't currently octane limited.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good deal guess i'll just stick with the 93 then, goin to the track fri. i'll post up the results in the drag racing forum;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
It will raise the knock threshhold, so although you may not feel any power, it will reduce your chances of knock, which is always a good thing.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I've read that the ECU can adapt to the higher octane and provide more power. There's a thread on the currently unsearchable NASIOC about it. People say that after a tank of toluene-enhanced gas, the car feels faster and more responsive. I tried it for a couple weeks, and wasn't sure if I noticed anything. Supposedly Torco octane booster can give dyno-proven results.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Higher octane gas allows you to turn up timing, A/F, and limited boost. If you dont have the engine management to take advantage of it though, it wont do anything for you.

The ECU will eventually advance the timing when it doesnt knock, but that will take a while. You could use shiv's 5 second trick and max out the ECUs multiplier though.

Toulene is awesome. The only problem is that, for me at least, the effects dont seem to last the entire tank. The first day or two though, the car can really be worked hard without signs of knocking.

Dont waste your money on octane boosters. If you look they claim max 7 points. Thats .7. So 91 octane becomes 91.7 under the most ideal circumstances (probably more like 91.3). A gallon of toulene will give you about 1.5. So 91 to 92.5 or 93 to 94.5 which is a much bigger jump.

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts