Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the exhaust piping from the turbo back and kept there stock muffler? I guess this would be the downpipe and midpipe?? Correct me if i am wrong..I am new the the whole turbo engine but i am learning..I am looking for something that would bolt on both to the turbo and the stock muffler..i dont want to have to weld anything..what company would you recommend...Did u get a throatier exhaust sound??I would like to stay with the stock muffler and keep it looking like a sleeper but still get the gains from getting rid of the cats and using larger piping..I dont want a really loud, annoying exhaust. I dont mind having a more throatier sound but i dont want anything annoying!!My previous car was a 94 civic ex and the exhaust system i had was a DC 4-2-1 header and greddy catback exhaust including a big a$$ muffler..it was SOO loud that i would have to turn my radio up to tune it out..that is what im trying to avoid..any help will be much appreciated..:D
thanx,
kris

·
1,911 Posts
You can change the uppipe and downpipe and keep your cat back. The downpipe includes the midpipe BTW. It should be pretty close to stock noise level if you keep the stock muffler. You should get decent gains from the catless uppipe/downpipe but you will get increased turbine noise. Not exhast noise but rather just air rushing through the turbo.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Turbo XS stealth back. Do a search for some more info, it's been discussed a lot. It's by far the best deal going for flow, gain, future potential, and versitility (you can bolt right on any muffler section designed to replace the stocker) if you want to keep the stock muffler. Did I mention price? It's almost $500 cheaper than most other turboback systems. I had a full turbo back custom made with 4 mufflers of various kinds in it to keep it quiet, and when I went to the TXS stealth back w/ the stock muffler it was way quieter. I'm talking stock volume levels with a little more distinctive boxer engine sound and a little more noise from the turbo spinning.

A 20 hp gain with stock look and sound = the ultimate sleeper

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Running with the up and downpipes catless, the center section still stock, and a 2.5" mandrel bent pipe (catback) to the stock muffler, I have made the following observation: the exhaust is noticeably louder.

But pleasantly so.

misterx

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm currently running the TXS turbo back and up pipe connected to my stock muffler. It's a little throatier at idle, but I really can't tell it over stock while driving. I'm considering going to the Prodrive muffler because it's almost TOO quiet as is. I can't hear my car's exhaust when lined up next to V-8's :p But I'm not sure I want to give up the stock sound, or rather lack of sound. I just removed my Blitz SUS intake and put on my stock air silencer assembly, and the car sounds like a nice little car again, except now its fast as hell. You don't get near the amount of whooshing noises back in the cabin with the air silencer assembly on.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The Stromung system, like the ScoobySport, is also modular and can be used to only replace parts of the exhaust you want replaced. For example, I've retained the stock downpipe, got the Stromung straight pipe to replace the 3rd cat and use the stock resonator pipe and muffler. Very quiet.

The problem is, the Stromung downpipe has the same metal plate blocking the wastegate as does the stock downpipe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have an aftermarket uppipe and midpipe (downpipe is stock) and the car is almost as quiet as stock. There is a slight burble to the exhaust at idle but outside of that, it has nearly stock noise levels.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
bedabi said:
The Stromung system, like the ScoobySport, is also modular and can be used to only replace parts of the exhaust you want replaced. For example, I've retained the stock downpipe, got the Stromung straight pipe to replace the 3rd cat and use the stock resonator pipe and muffler. Very quiet.

The problem is, the Stromung downpipe has the same metal plate blocking the wastegate as does the stock downpipe.
MY Stromung exhaust does not have the metal plate blocking the wastegate. Hence, the modification.

misterx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts