ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I made a similar post at NASIOC but thought I would post here for additional opinions. Always good to get as much information as possible.

So I acquired a 2002 WRX recently, and was planning on doing injectors, fuel pump, sti turbo, TMIC, downpipe and tune, but after talking with tuners, working everything out to buy parts and install, it was going to cost almost as much as a V7 STI and only a few grand less than a V8 STI.

I decided I would save for an STI, but a few of my friends recommend doing Downpipe and tune as going catless or high flow cat and getting a tune can net 20 - 30hp. If that is the case, doing this seems like a good way to add something to the vehicle but keep costs minimal.

Is this worth it?

My next question is, I have acquired a 255 fuel pump and an STI TMIC. I was planning on selling them since they were not needed but my tuner said it would be good to put the fuel pump in when doing downpipe and putting the STI TMIC on.

So I was wondering, is there any point in adding an STI TMIC to an otherwise stock 2002 WRX if I am only going to do a catless/high flow cat downpipe?

If the car will run absolutely fine with the stock WRX intercooler, then I wont bother, but I have read about head soak etc, and am wondering if since i already have the intercooler should I just get it put on anyway? I am also worried about it rubbing on the AC lines as I heard that STI intercoolers in WRXs have this problem, so if it is more hassle than it is worth, then I'd rather stick with the Stock intercooler. I will still be running a TD04 just have an aftermarket downpipe and tune.

And lastly, is there any point in adding the fuel pump? Or should I also sell that and put towards my Downpipe?

Thanks!

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
So I was wondering, is there any point in adding an STI TMIC to an otherwise stock 2002 WRX if I am only going to do a catless/high flow cat downpipe?
Yes, provided the ECU is calibrated for the TMIC. I wouldn't consider the larger TMIC for any appreciable horsepower gains, but more importantly due to the increased thermal capacity AND thermal shedding the STI TMIC offers over the OEM WRX TMIC. Simply, it will even out the charge cooling on even an OEM engine adding to the safety margin.

And lastly, is there any point in adding the fuel pump? Or should I also sell that and put towards my Downpipe?
In my mind, no... not with OEM injectors. If the duty cycles are not calibrated, even more reason to stick with OEM. Higher flow with same duty cycles will just mean more fuel returned to the tank effectively heating up the fuel. Now if the goal is to increase the fuel pressure in the system, then I would say there is value in a higher-flow fuel pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, provided the ECU is calibrated for the TMIC. I wouldn't consider the larger TMIC for any appreciable horsepower gains, but more importantly due to the increased thermal capacity AND thermal shedding the STI TMIC offers over the OEM WRX TMIC. Simply, it will even out the charge cooling on even an OEM engine adding to the safety margin.

In my mind, no... not with OEM injectors. If the duty cycles are not calibrated, even more reason to stick with OEM. Higher flow with same duty cycles will just mean more fuel returned to the tank effectively heating up the fuel. Now if the goal is to increase the fuel pressure in the system, then I would say there is value in a higher-flow fuel pump.

Awesome! So at this point just doing the Downpipe and putting the STI TMIC on will be good gains for the price by the sounds. The only thing I am worried about is the STI TMIC rubbing against the AC lines since I know the AC lines are shorter in the WRX.

If I did decided to leave the stock WRX intercooler on, and I just did the downpipe, do these cars still run sweet?

Cheers and thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
"The only thing I am worried about is the STI TMIC rubbing against the AC lines since I know the AC lines are shorter in the WRX. "

Have had an STI IC on my bugeye for 13 years now. Was aware of the interference between the AC line and the IC. Always kept two layers of plastic wire loom between the two parts. And you can probably take a little pressure off the AC line using a dremel w/carbide bit on the IC's mounting points and pulling it forward slightly.

So when my AC went out over the winter that was the first place i suspected for a leak. Tried finding the leak with UV dyed R-134 but no dice. Turned out a rock (or whatever) hit my AC condenser and caused the leak. Might be a good idea to put some screen in front of your condenser. If you can't do the AC repair yourself it can get expen$ive fast.

I did most of the mods you mention in your second paragraph 15 years ago. (VF-34 with Cobb's off the shelf tune). The car dynoed 256 HP which is ~70 HP over stock. Not a monster but it has been dead reliable and no transmission troubles. Of course if the engine ever dies or the turbo fails i will probably go for an upgrade..............

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"The only thing I am worried about is the STI TMIC rubbing against the AC lines since I know the AC lines are shorter in the WRX. "

Have had an STI IC on my bugeye for 13 years now. Was aware of the interference between the AC line and the IC. Always kept two layers of plastic wire loom between the two parts. And you can probably take a little pressure off the AC line using a dremel w/carbide bit on the IC's mounting points and pulling it forward slightly.

So when my AC went out over the winter that was the first place i suspected for a leak. Tried finding the leak with UV dyed R-134 but no dice. Turned out a rock (or whatever) hit my AC condenser and caused the leak. Might be a good idea to put some screen in front of your condenser. If you can't do the AC repair yourself it can get expen$ive fast.

I did most of the mods you mention in your second paragraph 15 years ago. (VF-34 with Cobb's off the shelf tune). The car dynoed 256 HP which is ~70 HP over stock. Not a monster but it has been dead reliable and no transmission troubles. Of course if the engine ever dies or the turbo fails i will probably go for an upgrade..............
Cheers man! I think I am just going to get the STI when I can afford it. I am however going to put a High Flow 100 cell cat Downpipe in it and get it tuned. I am expecting about 30hp gains if that sounds about right, which will just be a nice little increase while I save for an STI.

Also, would you consider there any point in putting the STI TMIC on if all I do is the downpipe? Or not worth the money to get it installed etc and just stick with stock intercooler?

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts