ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 subaru wrx as many people may now know, i have a old computer im pretty sure in it a piggyback Turbo XS TSX-002 reuision 4 i believe it says on it

I want to get something better for my car but im not sure what i should get like i said in a different post that is much older i was thinking about a Cobb AP but someone told me the only advantages i would get with that is flat foot shifting, and launch control. I do not have the stock computer because i bought this car "as is"

i am looking for suggestions on what i should get i plan on putting more money into my car and getting more stuff done to it right now i have a huge list of items that have been done to it and my car was featured in a Import Tuner magazine by the Sony Company at one time years ago. I believe that my car has not been tuned worth **** because i have a check engine like that is always on unless one of my buddies resets it for me but it eventually pops back on. The check engine light is on for my Exhaust which is all after market including the down pipe and all. I also have been receiving misfires and now a new code came up last night which is my mass air flow sensor but i just bought a new one off ebay last night i will replace it once it comes in.

should i buy a stock computer and put it back in? or look at getting a different after market computer. i would like to be able to teach myself or get help from many of you and other friends on how to tune my car and set up maps if i think thats the way to go but i need help deciding.

IMG_20120422_010945.jpg

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,212 Posts
You have a stock ECU plus the piggyback.

An AP won't solve the problems. Find the problems, fix them, and then consider another mapping solution if you feel like it. Find a shop versed in the TXS and have them look at the car.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Like he said you have a stock ECU so you just need to remove the piggyback and you'll be all set. However, without knowing your full mods list, I wouldn't recommend running without a tune.

What specific codes are you getting? Did you try cleaning the MAF before you ordered a replacement? It may simply be dirty and a $5 can of electronics spray cleaner could fix it.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
You have a stock ECU plus the piggyback.

An AP won't solve the problems. Find the problems, fix them, and then consider another mapping solution if you feel like it. Find a shop versed in the TXS and have them look at the car.

^this. That TurboXS unit is not a stand alone, your car still runs off of the stock computer, it is installed in the passenger side floor board. You need to figure out what is causing the misfire issue and the MAF code. You might just need to clean your sensor and install new plugs. Whatever the case, there's little point in trying to tune the car while it is having problems. I would recommend finding a reputable shop, preferably one who works with TurboXS tuning, although you could just remove that piggyback and get an open source tune.. problem is, while the car is misfiring the tuner will not be able to tune it (unless the misfire is being caused by a bad tune, if that is the case it will be clearly evident by looking at the logs).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took up the floor carpet on the passenger side and the piggyback computer was under a metal bracket. where would the stock computer be? i was thinking that mine was replaced and i should buy a stock computer and replace it where the current stage 2 piggyback turbo xs computer is sitting... i can lost all the mods that it says online for my car on 2 websites which are

Xcceleration

&

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3226169/2002-subaru-impreza

some things have been added and others have been taken off i believe from this list.

for the MAF i did not try cleaning it i just ordered a brand new one it was only around $40 so i dont mind too much. I also have brand new spark plugs because when i first seen the misfire code i got them all replaced but that did not solve the problem. i was thinking it was misfiring because it is poorly tuned or has never been tuned by a shop possibly but i really dont know i check all the codes that the car says and its nothing major just the misfires are what confuses me. about my exhaust code i have a full kit and i dont believe my computer in my car is set up for that

im not sure if i should get it tuned with the computer i have in it or if i can do it myself somehow? becasue shops around where i live dont have that capability hahaha they are not good with tuners thats for sure

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
You now have three different threads on this subject.You really don't have to keep starting a new thread everytime you have a new question. Take a picture of what exactly is there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts