ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a new 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX. While pondering the AWD concept and looking at the Subaru manual 5-speed transmission I asked myself a question. Let’s say you have 30K on a set of tires. You hit something in the road that ruins one of the tires. If you were to buy one or two new tires how would the small difference in size affect the driveline. You don’t have to replace all four tires? Also, I am use to getting around 60K to 70K from my FWD cars. How many miles can Subaru’s AWD system get from a set of tires?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome!
AWD drivetrain requires all tires to be within 1/4" diameter of each other.
In your "30k" scenario, you'd best replace all 4. If you didn't you'd risk heating up and destroying any of the differentials. Front, center, rear. Just part of AWD.

Tire usage would be the same...if both cars had the SAME tires and were driven the SAME.

You could do burn-outs in a FWD or RWD cars and there'd be no issue since there's only one differential. Tire diameter wouldn't be a big deal. AWD can't (well, shouldn't) do burn-outs due to the traction being put down to all wheels.

Get a WRX, you will be quite happy! (I am)

I had the same questions before I purchased. The WRX is a performance car and the AWD makes the twisties soooo much better. (And my car is still stock!)

·
Registered
0 Posts
30K from a set of tires? bahahahahaha... I WISH! :)

60-70K? Wow..... you're that guy I'm always stuck behind on the fun roads huh? ;)

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
My RE92's that came with the car lasted me for about 18,000 miles, and after that, I should've replaced them because I was skidding around and screetching them a lot more than I should've. I finally got new tires at 22,000 miles, and BOY what a difference :thumbup:

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,086 Posts
the stock Wrx tires should be good for 45K mi,you don't sound like an agressive driver so you might get more.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like to drive fast but try not to break the tires free on exel. I dirve mainly freeway 90% or more. I also get about 80K on a set of brakes. But on the on ramp there is only one throtle position, wide open! But in my F250 I keep it at 70 mph. A big 4X4 just dose not stop that well over 70mph. I am more agresive in my Z24.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
to answer your question, you need to have all four tires be EXACTLY the same tire, same tread design and same size. If you were to hit something at 30k, you would need to replace all four tires to get around the same tread depth for all four corners. At least that's what the Costco tire policy is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts