ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I just recently purchased a 2002 WRX wagon and one of the very 1st mods I wanted to do on it was to remove the air silencer equipment to give the car a little more growl. I performed the same mod on my 98' RS and it sounded great.

However, now after having removed the silencer aquipment (the one on top of the engine and the one in the passanger side wheel well), the air filter box isn't connected to the silencer kit anymore and is merely atatched to the engine itself. Now when I drive the car in the powerband (about 3-4000 RPM) a loud "sucking" noise takes place and then drops in volume and makes a sound like a BOV when I decelerate.

My question is whether or not this sucking noise is bad for the engine. In all reality, I've opened up the car's aspiration abilities more by removing the silencer kit, but as cool as this new sound is, I want to make sure that I'm not potentially hurting the engine.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Not bad at all...its just the turbo pulling air in and spooling up. As long as you have a filter between where the air comes in and goes to the turbo, you're fine.

Thats what the silencer removal does, makes things louder, except this time, you have a turbo :wiggles:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts