Subaru WRX Forum banner

Question about 04/05 STI reliability

22K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post here (hopefully many more will follow). I currently own a 2000 Acura TL with many mods (headers/intake/exhaust/pullies/ yata yata yata) but im thinking about moving up to a seriously fast car. Iv always been interested in the STI but just recently my mom said i could sell my car and get an STI. I was wondering if there are any weak points on the car IE tranny, motor, electronics, or anything. I ask this because my tl has a tranny issue that has landed me on my 3rd tranny at 67k miles.... I dont want this happening again. I plan on driving the car the way it was ment to be drivin, "spirited" no track days or rally days. Anyways if yall could fill me in i would greatly appreciate it. Oh one other thing, i have called around to about 20 dealerships and asked what the biggest complaints were and they said the rotors are soft and that the paint is thin. both of the problems i can very much so live with. Thanks again for everything fella's

#2 ·
hello and welcome to the club

the sti is a great car not to many problem that i can think of

how old r u ?

#4 ·
acuratlman789 said:
asked what the biggest complaints were and they said the rotors are soft and that the paint is thin.
'05 STi
28k miles

I've had rust bubbles on my roof (2) for about 8k miles.

Never been in accident, never any kind of damage.

The dealerships are jerking me around about getting it fixed.

#5 ·
My 04 STi has 68k. No major problems. There arent any common problems with this car. Its an overbuilt production version of a WRC car so its pretty stout. Good choice, good luck.

#7 ·
The STi is a great car and doesnt have many problems, the only problems i have heard are caused by the owner not performing regular maintenance, incorrect modding, and careless driving

#9 ·
2004 sti with 45k or so miles on it, bought used at 32k. No problems other than the rear strut clunk common to the STI and what sounds like a wheel bearing slowly dying on the front driver's side. Runs like a clock. Exactly why I bought this car instead of an M5.

#10 ·
Thanks fellas, I can get over the paint and the rattles, my biggest concern was dealing with a tranny dieing every 25k (which my car has done) i prolly would leave the sti relatively stock other than exhaust and some minor stuff, maybe a tune but even then id be worried that i would be doing something that would damage the car. Ehh now i just have to find one for cheap/drivin by a 70 year old grandma who got it serviced every 3k miles lol.

#12 ·
What’s going on my man, I have a 2005 STI and she’s got almost 180k on her! She has done nothing but good to me, she’s never broken down, I have driven it over 600 miles in a day only stopping for gas and to check my oil. Subaru’s are known for the long haul, but the trade off is you always have to keep up on the maintenance; oil changes (with good oil! I only use Rotella T6 oil and the Subaru OEM filter), changing the belts when they need it, brake pads, all your fluids in general. If you keep up the maintenance they will last forever!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.