ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on gutting my u/p tomorrow. Three question. I've heard that when you do an aftermarket install its a good idea to have new stud bolts on hand. I think the writeup says 5 is what it takes. Is that still true for reusing the gutted pipe. Second, do you think the need for new gaskets is the same a gutted pipe. Last, do people usually double up these gaskets or are you guys just using the one?

Thanks
para

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Bro, I don't know if I can talk you out of it, but I wouldn't gut your uppipe. Take it from me, it's not as easy as it seems.

Still willing to do it? Yeah, I would get new everything, studs, and especially Gaskets. ESPECIALLY GASKETS!

I really hate to say it, but I can't help myself. Doubling up Gaskets is no different than doubling up on condoms; it actually makes it more prone to leak.:D

I have also been told the best way to prevent leaks is to torque all the bolts equally (do not 'over-torque them) and tighten in this order:

manifold to uppipe
manifold to block
uppipe to turbo
turbo to downpipe.

Good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Gutting the up-pipe is really easy. First drill as many holes in the cat as you can. Then take something with a large diameter like a jack handle and pound it out. You'll have big chunks stuck in there that won't fall out. Just use some long needlenose pliers to pull the cat material out. When that's done, use a screwdriver to scrape off the excess cat material on the sides and polish it with a brass brush.

When you do the install follow the Vishnu instructions to the letter and you'll be fine. You won't need new studs, but you'll need new gaskets. The most important part of the install is to torque to the correct specs, and in the proper order. It's all laid out in the Vishnu directions.

If you got alot of time you could also port-match your exhaust manifold and up-pipe. Well worth it IMHO. Do a search for port-matched header on nasioc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
amen to that scrappydo.... I'd budget a full day if not your weekend to do this mod... Just thank your stars you dont have to pull those studs cos they are a biatch! Almost as bad as getting to the bloody U/P in the first place :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going home and have 3.5 days if needed. I'm in no hurry. Just me and my subby spending some quality time. ;-) Thank you for your insights. Single gasket ( check ), new gasket ( check ), propoer torque ( check ), and Vishnu instruction.

Thanks
para

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

I gave myself 3 days - I'm home visiting my parents who have a vastly superior garage setup.

Day 1: Did as much preassembly as possible late Fri night.

Day 2: Finished disassemly, which really wasn't too bad. PB blaster is my new best friend. And managed to get the pipe totally gutted and polished. This was extremely time demanding, but there is no room for a mistake there.

Tomorrow I just need to put it back together and hope for no leaks or debris.

para

·
Registered
11 Posts
One tip I thought I'd mention...

Make sure you put the manifold back in with the upper manifold heatshield already above it... I put the manifold on and torqued everything up only to find that I couldn't just slot the upper heatshield in there... PAINFUL...

Also, as I was forcing it in I cracked the lower cam belt cover, BE CAREFUL with this piece as a broken runner on the inside actually wedged in between belt and cam and the belt skipped two teeth a few months later!! Was an expensive exercise so just be mindful of it...

Just thought I'd pass on my stoopidy, not saying you'd do the same... :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip Clutch. In one of the roughly 8k walkthroughs I read - Vishnus I think - they mention that. You reiterating it will definitely remind me for tomorrow tho. Thanks

para

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finished the job Sunday. No leaks. Reassembly isn't too bad, though putting the manifold back on is interesting.

Impressions

Spool is definitely improved, and actually seemed much smoother to me. Sound is slightly louder, though mostly its the turbo spooling sound and the sucking sound.

Worth the trouble: maybe. Glad its done and it was a success. You bet i am.

para;)

P.S. Thanks for all the advice both in this thread and the other good info on the site esp Tubbytreats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts