Subaru WRX Forum banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
This is long!

Holy smokes, I put almost as many miles as you on a car at ~2700 miles/month, ~170 mi round trip, 4 days/week. I’ve been commuting in a new 2017 wrx manual 6 speed for a little over 2 years now. Before that, I’ve been a consistent Toyota woman since 2004, rav-4, 2 corollas and a Camry, all commuters.

You don’t mention where you commute. In northern climates, any all-wheel drive is definitely an advantage. The WRX is great in most cases, hell, it’s a little snowmobile, but if the snow gets too deep, you better not stop because it’s low ground clearance will get you stuck and stranded.

Subaru’s are awesome in that they still sell manual transmission options which is one reason I made the switch. Works for my commutes but if you’re in a heavy urban area with stop and go, maybe not so much.

The WRX has an extra stiffened frame because of what it is…which is a blast on my rural local back roads on the way to the grocery store but can be quite jarring up on the hwy going to work, especially in the winter freeze thaw periods where the roads are buckled and potholed. My Toyota Camry and Chevy pickup rode/ride much more smoothly than this car.

Do you carry passengers? This car is very low slung, my 20 yr old son springs out of the passenger seat like a jack-in-the-box…my 71 yr 6’2” dad doesn’t so much. Thank goodness for grab handles. Then when I do get a guy that size in the passenger seat, I’m grabbing their knee every time I shift gears, awkward… I have to say that my 5’10” frame fits pretty comfortably in this car even though it’s the size of a Toyota Corolla.

Gas mileage: I’ve always commuted a distance and mpg has been too much of a focus for me over the years. I was so bored with my front wheel drive cars and their great mpg’s (considering the time I spent in the vehicle) that I threw my arms up and bought this wrx. I get the same mpg with this car as my awd 2004 Toyota Rav-4, ~27 mpg…so I’ve digressed 15 yrs. I don’t care, I’m old enough to want satisfaction, not good fuel mileage and I do enjoy the commute more. I think the best I do is ~30 mpg. If you’re worried about mpg you have to stay out of that turbo I guess. When it’s time to replace the wrx, I’ll probably get an awd suv either Toyota or Subaru.

Good luck!
Julie, thanks for the feedback, it comes as an interesting insight, I drive in South and West Texas, where it is mostly flat but some hills when going thru the hill country of central Texas 80 percent of my driving is interstate highway and farm to market back roads. that small 20 percent is only when I am either home or running errands in town, 99 percent of the time no passengers unless as said before I am at home and dropping the kiddo at school. Your post has actually helped getting me to think a lot in the WRX LOL, I guess I need to make up my mind. Thanks!!

21 - 21 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.