ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first car and I've been saving for 5 years so I can buy a new WRX or STI in cash. I currently drive an 07 Honda Civic Sedan which I bought back when I was 17 so I could learn how to drive a Manual Transmission. Now I can't decide between the WRX or STI. I have no intentions of going to the track so this car will be only for Daily Driver. I only plan on doing exterior mods for looks and some bolt ons so I won't be modifying my engine internals. I haven't been able to test drive either but I want to know if the STI is noticeably better than the WRX on streets / highways?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,219 Posts
My definition of better may differ from yours. Using my definition, no. Using yours, I don't know, since I don't know what you mean, sorry.

Go drive both. If they don't let you test drive both, buy neither.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi this is my first car and I've been saving for 5 years so I can buy a new WRX or STI in cash. I currently drive an 07 Honda Civic Sedan which I bought back when I was 17 so I could learn how to drive a Manual Transmission. Now I can't decide between the WRX or STI. I have no intentions of going to the track so this car will be only for Daily Driver. I only plan on doing exterior mods for looks and some bolt ons so I won't be modifying my engine internals. I haven't been able to test drive either but I want to know if the STI is noticeably better than the WRX on streets / highways?
Check the insurance rates as well. There could be a big difference considering your age.

·
Registered
280 Posts
From what I've heard and read if you don't plan on taking it to the track or getting more power out of it, then the good ol WRX should be enough for you :) I use mine as a DD and it's excellent. Insurance is also a very good point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks guys, I will be test driving once I'm back home, and from the numbers I think I will be happy with the WRX since it does look nice to me and it's already a huge power upgrade from my ~120 horsepower civic :D

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'd go with the WRX if I were you for several reasons:
1. Cost
2. Your performance goals for your car
3. Insurance costs

I also wouldn't pay cash for anything right now considering your age and financial position, which I'm making some assumptions about based on the fact you've been saving for a WRX for 5 years. Interest rates are at the lowest levels in history pretty much, so you're better off seeing if you can get a 4-5% loan and financing it rather than buying it.

Several reasons for this:
1. Financing will help improve your credit score.
2. Low interest rates as I cited above.
3. You should have 6 months of savings on hand at all times in case of an emergency, and I'm guessing you won't if you use this money to buy the car.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'd go with the WRX if I were you for several reasons:
1. Cost
2. Your performance goals for your car
3. Insurance costs

I also wouldn't pay cash for anything right now considering your age and financial position, which I'm making some assumptions about based on the fact you've been saving for a WRX for 5 years. Interest rates are at the lowest levels in history pretty much, so you're better off seeing if you can get a 4-5% loan and financing it rather than buying it.

Several reasons for this:
1. Financing will help improve your credit score.
2. Low interest rates as I cited above.
3. You should have 6 months of savings on hand at all times in case of an emergency, and I'm guessing you won't if you use this money to buy the car.
I agree, good points. I was just going to pay the difference in cash when buying my car (I had a trade in that was paid for) but at 2.3% apr I kept my cash stash.

The STi vs WRX topic is beat to death on the internet. My personal opinion for anyone debating between them is first ask yourself what you can comfortably afford and go from that point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts