Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased low miles used 2010 WRX manual transmission. The car appears to be all stock. I am puzzled about clutch catch point and stalling. This isn't my first MT, I drove many sticks in the past, including one with a race clutch. My other DD car is MT.

This car seems to be very good at speed. It is relatively easy to rev match downshift. I don't see any slipping when shifting hard. I tried stall-in-second test for slipping clutch - all seems good. However, clutch is on a heavy side.

However... WRX is VERY prone to stalling when pulling from a standstill. I have to give it more RPMs than I think is normal. I stalled twice so far, probably the first time in at least decade. Anything below 2000 rpm and the could stall, without warning. Considering that I also have a vanilla Impreza with 5spd, WRX clutch behaves and feels A LOT different.

Is there a mechanical issue that I should be investigating or is this how it drives?

· Registered
47 Posts
That sounds just like my 2011 WRX. The combination of a "heavy" clutch pedal and low sensitivity to initial throttle pedal movement make for a long learning period for these cars. I have found that I need to start the throttle movement earlier but slowerto avoid the 2K+ revs when starting. Really difficult moving to another MT car that has a "lighter" clutch pedal. Makes one feel like a newbie all over. You will get the hang of it.

· In Æternum
23,700 Posts
It's the low compression motor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.